Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Another S500 airmatic service message

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 PM
Default Another S500 airmatic service message

Hello all,

I am new to this site (but are on others similar ones) and have a 2000 S500. I have just purchased a 2000 S500 and it shows on the dash 2 messages one is that the Airmatic need to go get service and the other is brake service. I think I hear some spurts of leaking air from the right rear near the top of the strut assembly (hearing this from inside the car near the small grill over the strut). The drivers side rear I do not hear any spurts or leaks of air at all. The funny thing is that the rear of the car seems to be at the same height (right to left) and does not seem to go up and down at all. The fronts rise and lower and might lower a bit to much in my opinion once the car is shut down, but that might be because of a leak in the system. Since the rear does not seem to rise up and both rear sides seem to be at the same height I am thinking there might be some kind of airline T near the top of the passenger side rear strut assembly where I hear the air leak and therefore if it is at a T junction near there it would not raise either of the rear struts. Is this correct or is it something else? Also, I noticed that the fronts are not evenly raised with the drivers side being what seems about a 3/8 to 1/2 inch higher than that on the passenger side. What I am trying to figure out is if it is more likely to be an airline leaking near the top of the strut on the passenger rear and this does not allow enough air to pass to the drivers side rear strut and therefore causing the rear ride height to simply stay the same height.

Sorry for the long question, but we just bought this car and I am trying to fix it and get it road ready so we can get it inspected and registered in Houston Texas. Kind of funny to get the car registered you have to have it inspected first. To get insurance on the car you have to register it before you can get it to show up on your insurance policy, which is what you need so you can get it inspected. It's a looping mess.

All help will be welcome. Thank you in advance.

So any ideas if both rear struts are bad, or if one is bad and causes the other one to not raise either? The ride height in the back seems to look correct to begin with.

Last edited by IAConsultants; 03-11-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:19 PM

Have it checked by a professional could be two things airshocks or shock compressor