Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

Airmatic/Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2006, 06:40 PM
Default Airmatic/Extended Warranty

I have a 2002 W220 with the infamous Airmatic issues that so many have posted, newly diagnosed in the last 24 hours.

I also have a "platinum" service contract from a highly reputable company. However, it does specifically exclude shock absorbers and struts, based on them being a normal maintenance item.

Since I am unfamiliar with the specific architecture/design of the W220, could the experts here advise whether the insurer is likely to consider the airmatic elements shock absorbers/struts, and what argument I might make to enhance the possibility of coverage?

Also, anyone that has had these items repaired under a service/extended warranty contract that could either post the particulars here or by private message, your help would be most appreciated.

My car specifically issued the "too low, stop" red warning, and when I did, is resting almost directly on the tires. I obviously won't drive it again till it has been repaired.

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2006, 10:19 PM
Default RE: Airmatic/Extended Warranty

I think you answered your question in the first sentence, I would not get anything other than a MB extended warranty, been there done that!
even MB excudes things like radio and dimming mirrors and probably other things!
I assume it was not a "Starmark", what do the people who sold it say? I probably know the answer!

Old 11-20-2006, 03:47 AM

"too low, stop"

This warning may not be what you think dependent upon when and how it appeared.
If the car has been left for a day or two then this warning is quite common. Just start the car and wait for it to rise to the required height before driving.
Alternatively you can try the "wade or Raise Height" switch on the dash. Do you get the "Car Rising" message.
The system has a tolerance for "normal" leakage. Three days and mine is on the bump stops but after 15 secs or so no further problems although the light doesn't always clear itself immediately. You get ESP and ABS warnings instead because the car is low. These claer as soon as you drive a short way.
However if the car is down and won't go up that is more of a problem and is down to a definite leak or failed pump etc.

I guess your only chance (slim!) is to work out a deal with the insurer. Lets say 50/50 coming from the point of view that you do not want to get into a wrangle about the exact wording. You accept that shocks wear but this is not the problem that you have experienced!
I'm sure the original intention was to exclude worn (mechanical component) shocks..... however it is easy to stretch this exclusion to all sorts of things with the advent of air suspension..
Does the wording use shocks or springs? Airmatic is really the spring not the schock.
For instance if the airmatic supply pump doesn't work what has this got to do with the shocks? Likewise the Airmatic ECU module? Once again remote from the "shocks"
What about pneumatic leaks etc etc etc.

At the end of the day it will be down to the integrity of the insurer. OK they are all the same..................****

Good luck. Let us know how you get on. Stuart

Old 11-22-2006, 10:38 PM

How timely. I was driving today on some back roads in PA and all of a sudden I got the STOP Car, Airmatic too low message on the dash. I pulled over and sure enough, the front suspension was practically on the wheels. I pushed the "rise" button and was able to get it to come up to adriveable level then continued to the store. When I was done after 20 min of shopping, I got back in the car and turned the rise function off and the car was fine.?????????? Immediately went to the MB dealership and they found not leaks or anything???? How could this happen?? They said something about a potential "stuck" valve, but they couldn't tell without doing more analysis, of course.

Anybody else have this happen while driving? My car was fine when I started driving and it didn't give me this error until about 20 min into a drive (and no, it was not sitting for days before, the car has been driven everyday)

Old 11-23-2006, 04:05 AM

I think the response given by the dealer is fair.
You state the front was low. What about the back?
If everything appears to have gone back to normal the basic system must be working OK.
The fault must be intermittent.
Could be all sorts of things. Stuck valve. loose sensor wires, water in the electronics although the first is no doubt towards the top of the list.
The only way of unravelling what happened is to see if the system has recorded a fault code during the event.
The dealer can scan the diagnostics. This may/maynot reveal the problem. Chargeable if outside warranty
Stuart.

Old 11-27-2006, 01:21 AM

I did not get the extended aftermarket warranty because the Airmatic is not included. I have not had this happen but the radio and instrument cluster did the exct same thing as banker's airmatic, a little driving, re booting (re starting) and they both worked perfectly never (yet) to return.