Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

ABS question 500SE

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 07:06 AM
Default ABS question 500SE

G'day all,
I'm not all that familiar with the ABS braking system but have read on other Mercedes forums that some vibration is to be expected.

While going through some steep downhill hairpins , the steering wheel started to vibrate quite a lot and the brakes seemed to chatter.
Is this normal or is it evidence of a flakey steering damper or shocks? I took the car in for a roadworthy examination and they seemed to think it was fine.

Can anyone shed some light on the steering damper and how to test it,what effect it should have ,etc.?

I did not get the owners guide with the car either and have been unable to find one on the internet so will try the local parts guys around Cape-Town.
So can anyone enlighten me on the electric seat setting procedure?
I understand it has a memory and assume that's where the green button and the two black tabs marked 1,2 come in, but would appreciate a walk through.

Any info on ATF specification and capacity would be good too. I have already done oil,filter, HT wires, plugs and will do all the fluids including the self-leveling suspension...which still works fine, and have ordered a CD-ROM manual but expect that will be a week or so away.

Any other must-do info would me much appreciated too.

I just love the car and as I've only had it about 3 days, find it hard to get out of it