Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

ABC Warning

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Default ABC Warning

Hey guys, i am a new memeber here, just bought an 01 S 500. This site has been a tremendous help thus far figuring out a lot of small issues with my car so I joined today. The reason I am posting here is because i am having ABC problems. Here is the story, when I first bought the car, i would get a white (low priority message) ABC Visit workshop. Lately, I have been getting a red ABC Drive carefully which can not be turned off, it just goes off itself the next day or while i am driving. The ABC button functions perfectly, i can feel the difference. The car level button works perfectly even when the error message is on my screen. Went to my local mecanic and hooked up the scanner, there were many ABC codes that came up including "ABC System pressure Low". My mecanic thinks it needs a pump for the suspension. I guess my point here is that the systems appear to be working perfectly but the red error message just keeps going on. Any help would be appreciated.

PS The car does not lower at all overnight, i checked already........

Old 08-31-2008, 12:56 AM
Default RE: ABC Warning

ABC is similar too but different from Airmatic.
ABC is hydraulic rather than pneumatic.
It controls body roll to a greater extent than Airmatic.
Most S Class have Airmatic and these have problems which have been discussed a number of times.
Pneumatic leaks (invisible) from several locations and/or electronic gremlins.

ABC is much less common except on 600/AMG etc so I don't have any specific expertise.
However, you say you have many ABC codes. What codes are displaying. The cause is "hidden" within the codes.
Could be the pump but I would suggest it is much more likely to be one of the electronic sensors (gone bad, poor connection, corrosion etc that measure the pressure, suspension height etc.)
I assume that the pump fluid level is correct (and that the correct grade oil has been used.) and that there are no leaks from the system.
Stuart

Old 09-10-2008, 11:51 PM

that be the answer to w220 airmatic problems

Old 09-11-2008, 01:19 AM

I stated ABC mostly on S 600.
I now understand all Limo (long wheelbase) have ABC vs Airmatic

Stuart

Old 09-11-2008, 07:59 AM

I gave in andbrought the car to the dealer, turns out the pump was replaced last year (by them). The problem is the valve which controls the pressure of the fluid in the ABC susp system. It is leaking fluid therefore faulting the system. The price of the valve alone, hold on to your seats, $1,6000, just for the part, no labor. I don't what i am goin to do yet.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:39 AM

OK so you now know the source of the problem.

Since we are talking ABS vs Airmatic we need to understand why the valve is leaking.
I'm not familiar with this ABC valve, but since it is hydraulic vs pneumatic a chance exists that the valve can be taken to pieces and reassembled.
It is likely that something as simple as an "O" ring is leaking and could be replaced for a few cents.
MB do not provide internal parts for components like this so this is a DIY "project" type of repair.
MB do not provide internal parts since the repair of such components would be down to expertise of the mechanic.
Incidentally the leak COULD BE as simple as a loose connection when they changed the pump or whatever they did previously but I will consider that you problem is a genuine "internal" leak. It could also be due to "debris" in the system introduced when the pump was changed. on the other hand it could be a manufacturing issue.

However, if the issue is simply a leak one has to ask how big the leak is. If small, and you indicated it took some time to go from white warning to become a red warning, a simple top up of the system and cancellation of the code may keep you going for some considerable time especially if you keep a very careful eye on fluid level.

The only "proper" Quality Assured solution is a replacement valve.

Good luck.

Stuart

Old 09-12-2008, 07:39 AM

Great info Stuart, thanks so much. The dealerdid sayit was leaking badly, they did top off the fluid and reset codes, I had red critical warning the next day. Can i acess this valve myself to fill it? Is it near the pump which I believe is behind the front bumper? Is there any other alternative that you know of?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:41 AM

Also, is it the only valve or does each shock have one? This could get very expensive if more valves go south.....

Old 09-12-2008, 09:59 AM

I'm not familiar with the detail of ABC BUT I expect the valve body to be similar to the Airmatic one namely that it contains a valve for each corner plus valves to set the overall pressure etc.
If it is leaking badly then something significant needs to be done in short order.
Whether the valve will respond to DIY attention remains to be seen. The Airmatic valve is totally sealed and cannot be repaired.
However, something makes me thing the hydraulic ABC one might be more conducive to DIY action BUT I may be wrong.

Good luck,

Stuart