Mercedes CL Class Mercedes CL500 and Mercedes CL600 Coupes.

Here we go again ABC warning ?can i get some answers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 02:57 PM
fob
Default Here we go again ABC warning ?can i get some answers.

Hi,
I drive a much loved 2002 cl500 it goes like the clappers & still turns heads,my question is this, recently the ACTIVE BODY CONTROL visit workshop waring was coming on periodically when i would stop the car switch off & start again it would clear itself in the last couple of days a new warning has appeared in red text ACTIVE BODY CONTROL drive carefully !& the ride is very soft.
I have read all related forums on this subject can you tell me do i first check the hydraulic fluid level & how & secondly is the most likely cause a leak & is there a common area or part that leaks,i.e where should i start to look......all replies greatly appreciated new member great forum
fob.......Ireland

Old 12-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Default RE: Here we go again ABC warning ?can i get some answers.

common areas are behind the front left tire in the wheel well and also there are 2 hoses that run under the car, around the front axle area, and also in front of the radiator there might be some lines ,, ive seen all of them blow out on occasion. the abc pump itself goes bad too. also there are valve blocks one for each axle and they go bad or get clogged up. check the level with the larger of the 2 sticks in the reservoir there are 2 marks on it in german.. the lower mark is with the car running.. and the top mark is car off.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:51 PM
fob

rapid response nice one,when i use the self level on the dash the car rises up & down no problem on both settings would this eliminate the possability of a pump problem or the valve blocks gone bad ? secondly if i don't find a leakshould the hydrulic fluid system be flushed & renewed with new fluid & are ther any filters thatcould be replaced to solve this problem isthere a way to flush the system & renew with new fluid or will i need a special tool...

Old 12-20-2008, 03:56 PM
fob

[quote]ORIGINAL: chassis221

common areas are behind the front left tire in the wheel well and also there are 2 hoses that run under the car, around the front axle area, and also in front of the radiator there might be some lines ,, ive seen all of them blow out on occasion. the abc pump itself goes bad too. also there are valve blocks one for each axle and they go bad or get clogged up. check the level with the larger of the 2 sticks in the reservoir there are 2 marks on it in german.. the lower mark is with the car running.. and the top mark is car off.
[/rapid response nice one,when i use the self level on the dash the car rises up & down no problem on both settings would this eliminate the possability of a pump problem or the valve blocks gone bad ? secondly if i don't find a leakshould the hydrulic fluid system be flushed & renewed with new fluid & are ther any filters thatcould be replaced to solve this problem isthere a way to flush the system & renew with new fluid or will i need a special tool... quote]

Old 12-20-2008, 05:32 PM

there is a filter, its in the reservoir that you check the level in. its the large screw off cap there is a filter on there. but changing and flushing is usually done with the MB computer so the car can dip and roll manuever they call rodeo that will actuate all 4 struts in a circular motion to bleed out the lines and stuts of debris and old oil. i wouldnt recommend doing it yourself cause the pump could run dry and you could also get air in the system.its really hard to say what the problem is. the dealer might recommend flushing the whole system and putting on a new filter to start. but ive replaced many valve blocks and pumps too. you might have no choice but the dealer.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:30 AM
fob

Hey chassis221 thanks a mill for your responses i checked the fluid levels today in my car & both resevoirs were down the smaller one of the two showed signs of some seepage from the screw on cap the ABC has not come on since i topped them up & all the hoses seem completely dry.hopefully this is the end of it,thanks again dude.........

Old 02-07-2009, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by fob
Hi,
I drive a much loved 2002 cl500 it goes like the clappers & still turns heads,my question is this, recently the ACTIVE BODY CONTROL visit workshop waring was coming on periodically when i would stop the car switch off & start again it would clear itself in the last couple of days a new warning has appeared in red text ACTIVE BODY CONTROL drive carefully !& the ride is very soft.
I have read all related forums on this subject can you tell me do i first check the hydraulic fluid level & how & secondly is the most likely cause a leak & is there a common area or part that leaks,i.e where should i start to look......all replies greatly appreciated new member great forum
fob.......Ireland
I have ABC warning on my 2001 CL-500 recently.
I took it to the dealer and found following need to be done:

1. Both Front Control arms need to be removed and new bushings need to be replaced.
2. Transmission support/mount need to replaced.
3. Two engine supports/mounts need to replaced.
4. Accumulator (suspension) need to be replaced.
5. Rear Main Seal (oil leak at rear of Engine)
6. Subframe been damaged need to replace a new one.

I still can't figure out why the control arm busing broken? Why ABC failure warning didn't warn me earlier when the control arm busing broken?

How often should we check the control arm and busing according to the owner's manual and maintenance schedule?

Old 02-14-2009, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by joehsucl500
I have ABC warning on my 2001 CL-500 recently.
I took it to the dealer and found following need to be done:

1. Both Front Control arms need to be removed and new bushings need to be replaced.
2. Transmission support/mount need to replaced.
3. Two engine supports/mounts need to replaced.
4. Accumulator (suspension) need to be replaced.
5. Rear Main Seal (oil leak at rear of Engine)
6. Subframe been damaged need to replace a new one.

I still can't figure out why the control arm busing broken? Why ABC failure warning didn't warn me earlier when the control arm busing broken?

How often should we check the control arm and busing according to the owner's manual and maintenance schedule?
Oh dear, was this a Mercedes Dealer? Sounds like they had a good think and replaced everything they possibly could that may have caused the ABC failure light to go!!!

The usual cause for the light to go on is low fluid levels, for what ever reason. So top up, and if it goes down, you know you have a leak somewhere, then its time to get the inspection lamp and have a much much closer look around.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:16 PM
Default Cl-500 control arm busing wear problem

I will have my 2001 CL-500 fixed soon. I ask dealer to collect all parts they replaced to me. I will take a closer look on the control arm busing and subframe.

My strong recommendation to all CL-500 owners to have their control arm busing checked.

If you have same problem with busing wear out for driving less than 7,5000 miles, I would like to share my experience with you.

Old 02-16-2009, 08:21 AM

the lower control arm bushing have nothing to do with the ABC. the bushings are rubber and they crack and break then the rubber comes apart and the metal part of your control arm bushing starts to rub against the metal of your subframe. this is something that happens when you dont take your car to a dealer and get your car checked up by someone who really knows your car better than anyone else. if you would have taken it to the dealer earlier the tech should have noticed this and you would not be putting in a new subframe now. all you would have needed would be the bushings. but this would have nothing to do with the ABC light you are getting.

Quick Reply: Here we go again ABC warning ?can i get some answers.