Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

98-99 s320 or s500

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:52 AM
Default 98-99 s320 or s500

Hi,
I'm Ken. Im new to this forum. I plan on buying a 98 or 99 s320 or s500 soon. I do have some question for all you experiance mercedes owners. This mercedes S class will be my first merceds. I heard that mercedes are high matiance and expensive. Is this true? How much does a regualr tuen up cost or either a s320 or s500? dealership and non dealership pricing. How reliable are the 98 and 99 S class models? What are their common problems? What kind of gass mileage do they get? And how much you think i should be paying for the car? Ive seen some 98-99 s500 for 9k-15k. The more expensiver one has lower mileage. Some has 60k-90k as lower mileage and the higher one has 90k-120k. I was wondering if this is a big factor in the cars reliability? These are all the question i have for now. Thanks in advance -ken

Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Default RE: 98-99 s320 or s500

no help guys?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator

The lower the mileage will of course be the lower the price. The fuel mileage will be less for the 500 but its also the 500 has more standard features normally. Those two years are the best of the W140s. either way u will be happy but also get one that has service records thats the main thing a neglected mercedes makes an expensive mercedes.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:02 AM

Hi,
Like with all things mechanical (and electrical), things can go wrong even with the best class products.

The S Class w220 is an excellent second user choice and should give 200k+ miles service without any problems.
HOWEVER, when and if, something should go wrong repair bills can be VERY EXPENSIVE AT MAIN DEALER ESPECIALLY IF CORRECT DIAGNOSIS IS NOT DETERMINED.

Like most luxiry class cars the S Class has a lot to go wrong compared to a lower tech. vehicle.

e.g. Air Suspension, Electronic Throttle, Memory Seats, Easy Access, Climate Control, Radar Cruise, ABS, ESP, BAS, etc etc

Be warned. Tyres don't last very long!!

Economy on the highway is EXCELLENT for such a large and heavy vehicle. I consistently achieve in excess of 30mpg Imperial on my 320 V6 petrol.

Stuart

Old 01-08-2008, 09:15 AM

I concur with Mbz300sdl, but with this difference. The lower mileage will command the higher price!

But, if you're going to own a Benz (may it be new, or, new to you), you can't be afraid of maintenance cost. If it's "new to you", you can't be afraid of miles. In fact, I for one, am not afraid of miles on this kind of automobile. As a matter of fact, I take comfort in the fact that it has achieved as many miles as it may have (speaking of the high-mileage vehicles), vs. a vehicle that has sat in the garage plagued with problems, but has low mileage.

It has also been stated that, maintenance records are very essential, and adds value to the vehicle. Perhaps, not by kkb standards, but by ownership standards this is true. There's nothing like knowing a vehicle lineage or history. If nothing else, it brings peace to an inquiring mind!

As for gas mileage...who cares? It's a Benz! It gets crappy gas mileage! Hence the term "Guzzler Tax." But you're not pushing a Yugo, and you can forget about getting 28 - 30 mpg on the highway! Those who achieve that (if possible) are either lying, or they've got something else going on that allows them to achieve such! The vehicle weighs practically 5000 pounds, and has a 26 gallon tank and uses 93 octane Petrol. It consumes a lot of juice! Consider all of the electronics in the vehicle, and what's required to have all systems working optimally.

If you keep it aligned, perform maintenance when due, make repairs when things break, go wrong, and not wait. You should be very happy!

The mistake a lot of the young people are making today, is they're going into purchasing a Benz, especially a BigBody Benz - thinking that it's maintenance free! It's not! Neither is it for the faint at heart! It's an investment! It's timeless! And it can always be fixed! (unless of course it's totaled in an accident or something of that nature.), but it will grab hold of your pockets, and more so, if you let things linger.

Stuart, on the other hand, enjoys 30 mpg in his W220, and that's great! I haven't heard of it being achieve in the W140, at all, particularly in those with high mileage.

Best to you in your market search. I really hope you choose to own one, it's great! But just know...there is a difference between Benz Owners and Benz Drivers! You'll understand what I mean as you continue your search for the right fit. Best wishes. Choose wisely.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:46 AM

In fact I stated greater than 30 mpg. 35 is not uncommon on my regular journeys of 200 miles all on motorway at 75mph cruise. This consumption is NOT from the onboard computer but uses a calibrated speedometer and brim to brim fuel added technique for the overall journey length.

I did state IMPERIAL which is greater than the "short" 80% US Gallon. My vehicle is a 320V6 petrol M112 selected for its efficiency. The V8 has addinional frictional losses associated with the 8 cylinders vs 6 and will therefore have worst gas consumption.
Highway gas mileage is a function of Cd Drag Coefficient X frontal area rather than vehicle weight. Town gas consumption (stop start) is dreadful. The w220 has one of the lowest Cd's in the business 0.26 or maybe even 0.25. The car also lowers itself on the highway in order to reduce the frontal area.

My overall (including town type work) over 30k+ miles is 29.8mpg.Imperial.

If anybody would like a speed photo showing this consumption over several hundred miles from the onboard computer request i send one via PM.
I would attch such a photo but this site will not allow me to do so for some reason.

Stuart

Old 01-09-2008, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the info. I notice that your sig says that you own a 97 s420. Since the gas tank is 26gal, how much miles go you get to the full tank? What are the typical problems in those 2 years in the S calss?

Old 01-11-2008, 11:01 AM

I am the wrong person to ask about the gas mileage, as I typically don't pay attention to it. I just fill it up when I'm near empty. Lately, however, I generally don't let it go past a half tank towards empty. The reason I'm not the one to ask is because of my forced driving habits. I live in an area where I'm constantly mashing on the gas for quick speed in short distance areas. Unless I'm doing some highway travelling, then I see notable improvements as it pertains, but I don't typically rate or measure. If I did, it would probably break my heart. It's a Benz, and it's a guzzler! It's expensive to drive, but I knew that going in, so there is no need of my crying about gas mileage or maintenance costs. It's just par for the course.

As to what my typical experiences with things going wrong with this particular model. Well, again, I would not be the one to ask. My approach to R&R is pretty much as things occur. You see, I'm the third owner. Therefore, I've had the privilege of replacing some things, whether they needed replacing or not! I have replaced practically all the front-end components, CATS, Wheels/Tires (Going back down to 16's to improve ride), EVAP components, Power-Steering pump, Radiator/hoses, Ignition Coil packs/plugs, IAT/MAF sensors, Windshield, Window regulators, Transmission/Engine mounts, etc. But all of this is par for the course. Stuff break, I repair or replace. It's that simple. The advantage I have is that I do it as soon as it happens. I don't wait. If I have to wait, then I don't drive the vehicle.

I'm getting ready to replace all of the Springs and Shocks, and replace the rear wheel bearings (which I hear is a lot of fun...argghhh!). But, it's a vehicle that rides very well, when proper maintenance has been done and/or maintained. I feel very confident with the vehicle when I know the maintenance has been accomplished. I replace stuff that perhaps don't need to be replaced, but it makes me feel better when I've done it. And when I'm curious, or in a quandary, then I come to this forum for some insight, and/or suggestions. And then, I go my way, and do what I'm going to do! So, there you go! You could say that I brood over it, and you wouldn't be too far wrong. But it's a Benz! And I treat it like one. And she's a Beaut! I've had many offers to give me way more than it's worth by kkb, but I'm by no means interested in doing so, as long as gasoline is being sold. And the thing that adds beauty is that, I don't have a monthly car note. I'm not interested in 900.00 car payments--at all! So, I'm good!

I make upgrades and improvements in a very subtle manner, nothing outlandish or flamboyant. Just enough to make it unique and clever looking. Anyway, that's my two cents for what it's worth! But it will always be...a BigBody Benzo!