Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

94 S320 timing

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:38 AM
Default RE: 94 S320 timing

I just wanted to thank sleepwalker for his fast and detailed response. You've been a huge help thanks, Again

Old 06-21-2005, 01:02 AM

sleepwalker if you get this i was wondering about the cylinder head page it says there is threee stages for the head and different torques for them can you explain what this means? Also, for the chain tensioner the end piece is the allen screw and the housing in timing cover is the large bolt correct? Also, in the crankshaft page the picture shows the cams with a 57 on one side and 59 on the other both in respect to thier gear position what is the significance of this? Once again thank you so much for ur help you have been very kind.
Thanks,
Danny

Old 06-21-2005, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

three stages for the head and different torques
first one is torque in Nm. second and third is you have to turn the bolt by that angle.

chain tensioner the end piece is the allen screw and the housing in timing cover is the large bolt correct
yes. allen is 40 and outer one is 80 Nm

cams with a 57 on one side and 59
just a camshaft code for intake and exhaust.

Old 07-07-2005, 12:52 AM

Hi i had one more question about the timing on this car. when i look at the diagram it shows that those pins on the back of the camshaft need to be lined up with the top of the head correct? Also the intake camshaft has a decent amount of freeplay maybe the difference of a few teeth, when i install the chain the two pins have to be even with the head and the crankshaft has to be on OT mark correct? Also do i position the intake camshaft gear (which has the free play) to be all the way to the left by the exhaust cam or do i position it to the right towards the water pump. If anyone knows i would greatly appreciate the help.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator

pins on the back of the camshaft need to be lined up with the top of the head
yes. please see the diagram now. it aligns on the EDGE of the cylinder head on which the cyl head cover seats.
you might need a 4mm round pin to insert through the hole...all the way through the sprocket.

the two pins have to be even with the head and the crankshaft has to be on OT mark correct
yes. correct. i don't exactly get the "freeplay" that you mean. but if it has to be a choice between "advance or late timing", choose the late timing. it will be on the exhaust side of course because you are rotating the engine clockwise and your eyes are fixed on the intake camshaft first.

always install the camshaft as near as possible to right position in order that the valve won't pust against the piston!

on installing the timing chain tensioner, always insert the big outer part first before the small (piston) inside! this will avoid you making the mistake of installing it so tight that could damage the rail or even break the chain! you simply need to excert more power to do this while screwing in. it needs few attempts and accuracy... but very safe method.

Old 07-07-2005, 02:03 PM

Hi, Thanks again for all the help sleepwalker, you have been more than helpful. What I meant by freeplay is that the intake camshaft gear can move a little bit to the left and a little bit to the right while the actual camshaft doesnt move at all. So when im installing the chain i should have the gear moved as far as it will go towards the exhaust cam to the left or the water pump to the right is what i meant. Please let me know when u get a chance. thanks again for all the help.