Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

93 400 SEL WONT START SOMETIMES

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:25 PM
Default 93 400 SEL WONT START SOMETIMES

Hello everyone,

I have a 93 400 SEL with about 98,000 miles that most of the time runs great. Yesterday I drove it toa store about 5 miles from home - when I left the house it started with no troubles and ran perfectly smooth all the way to the store. I was in the store for about 10 minutes and when I came out the car startedbut notuntilafter cranking until the battery was almost dead - the engine was shaking and spitting and kept stalling out. Once it finally did start it stalled at every stop sign and I'd have to restart with a minute or so of cranking it then it would shake and shuddera bit and then take off like there is nothing wrong - until I come to the next stop and it would do this again. I made it home but had to restart the car 4 times on the way home (after each stop)

Today I made the exact same trip but was in the store for about 30 minutesand the car started and ran perfectly both ways...

The car did this exact same thingonce about 5 months ago and once again last month. Both other times were also quick trips to a nearby store where the car started and ran perfect on the way to the store and was only parked for 10 minutes.

From whatI've read here, I'm thinking this may be a fuel pump relayproblem.Should I replace it? Can anyone heretell me whereto find the fuel pumprelay on my car?,or any other ideasas towhat my car's problem might be? Any ideas on what I should be checking when it does this again?

Thanks!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:29 AM
Default RE: 93 400 SEL WONT START SOMETIMES

Try Replacing the fuel pump i had replaced some of the S 500 , S600 ,S320 they have the same problem like youres... i dont think its the relay..

Other than the MB fuel pumps why not use after market fuel pumps... ?... it will be cheaper ...

Rockerfella174
Brunei

Old 06-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Default RE: 93 400 SEL WONT START SOMETIMES

Suggest also considering a check of the fuel filter. Raise car on a lift or jack up right rear of car, use jack stand and block wheels. At right rear, underthe car, remove a plastic cover over the fuel pump and filter. Start car in park and listen and watch the entire fuel pump/filter assembly. If the pump(s) are running ok, but still having problems, first consider a new filter; then only if pumpstill running ok, consider a fuel pressure regulator in the engine compartment. Doubtful it is the fuel injectors…These fuel pumps are expensive. I had similar problems, and it was the fuel filter.
Thanks.