Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

500SEL ASR LIGHT

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Default 500SEL ASR LIGHT

HELLO ALL
I just bought a 92 500 sel as a project/ hobby vehicle. unbelievable craftsmanship!!!

Ive read lots of posts regarding the asr light. i have a mind full of questions.
firstly, does limp mode make the tranny shift oddly(have to let off the gas to get into second)
and the kickdown basically non functional?

This car had a low milage tranny put innot long ago. I am trying to figure out if the ASR light is caused by incorrect linkage adj or the light is causing the odd tranny issues.

second, how do i obtain trouble codes from this vehicle?

thats good for now...thanks

Old 03-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Default RE: 500SEL ASR LIGHT

The 92 tranny 722.370 was used in late 80s and early 90s, there is nothing electronic on it (except the backup switch). The limp home mode symptoms can come from corroded distributor/rotors, that will give you very sluggish accleration, The asr has been known to come from a bad brake light switch, and to read codes you can build a box or have MB read it thru the connector on the body computer. I used to rinse off my engine and would get ASR issues, it runs just as well dirty.The california version which had a check engine light, can be read thru a flashing diode in the connector.
There are instructions on how to make a reader:
http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_S500.html

Old 03-22-2008, 08:18 PM

THANKS PETER.
i WILL LOOK CLOSER At THE BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH

I FOUND IN SOME PAPERWORK THAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD ITWAS PLUGGED IN AT AN MB DEALERSHIP

MULTIPLE INTERNAL FAULTS WITH THE ETA

I HAVE FOUND A COMPANY IN FLORIDA THAT REBUILDS THEM FOR $300-390

DO YOU JUST REMOVE THE MAF SENSOR TO GET AT THE BOLTS OR DOES THE INTAKE MANIFOLD HAVE TO BE REMOVED TO GET IT OFF.

I AM HOPING A GOOD CLEANING OF THE CONNECTION TERMINALS WILL HELP IT OUT
THANKS AGAIN
-MATT

Old 03-24-2008, 03:43 PM

I have not done anthing to it, except last week a new factory reman transmission, problems with reverse! It rained like the dickens, yesterday the ASR brifly came on, but cleared after a restart.