Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

2001 S 500 leaks

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 01:14 PM
Default 2001 S 500 leaks

My 2001 S500 has always had instrument cluster problems--check engine light stays on despite reset, phantom taillight light comes on, etc. Took it in for all servicing, never got those electrical problems fixed. In August 2007, I walk outside to my car and the brakelights are flashing, interior lights are on, headlights on all without the key even in the ignition! Car only has 100K miles on it. Took it to be repaired, mechanic came back and said there was water in the passenger compartment and he didn't know where it was coming from. Clean water, like rain or car wash water. What the heck is going on here? I called MBUSA, got the run around and then the rep HUNG UP ON ME. Anyone else have a leaky S500? Any ideas? Help--my sister just got a very bad diagnosis and I need this car and I don't have time for the MB attitude. Thanks to all. Barbara C.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Default RE: 2001 S 500 leaks

Hi,
Got the same problem with my 1995 S500. The central locking stopped working and there was water in the front and back passenger compartment and a fuse in the trunk was broken. The water leaked to the back seat and destroyed the vacuum pump (very expensive) which controls central locking and some other things. I think the water comes from the condensator in the AC. Is your AC working? You should check and remove any water under the back passenger seat compartment. Could you please report how things are going with your
S500. Wishing you all the best!

Old 10-10-2007, 01:09 AM
Default RE: 2001 S 500 leaks

Hi,

w220 S Class is notorious for getting a blocked plenum (heater inlet) chanber drain especially if you live near pine trees.

This is an item that SHOULD be checked during servicing but is often overlooked ESPECIALLY by non MB garages. Needles go thru grill and settle in bottom where they block the drain. Chamber fills up until about 4 inches deep and floods over into the cabin and over various electrics.

Of course it could also be the AC evaporator drain but I think not. This causes windscreen misting and strange smell (musty) within the cabin. Any water within the cabin causes the musty smell.

Simply look into the grill at the back of the bonnet (hood) and see if you can see water. I guess you will but may need a torch to see into the depths. Rectification is simple with an appropriate stick BUT IF the needles have stuck together and partly fermented then it MAY be necessary to remove the whole plenum chamber. Just labour cost. Easy DIY.

Thinking about this I'm 95% positive this is your problem since it is the fall.

The BAD news is what damage the water MAY HAVE done.

With luck once dried out all will be OK HOWEVER there are a lot of "complex" electrical systems in the dash area and if the "digital highway" gets wet ...it looks as though it has (hence the symptoms you have noticed)...rectification can be tricky and potentially expensive.

Determine cause. rectify cause. dry out underdash area with a blower heater or similar. need to remove panelling under dash (2 or 3 screws) to allow air to circulate.

Come back with your findings and we can try to go a little further if you still have problems with the electrics.

Incidentally you are the second post today with this problem and since this post refers to another that 3 in one day!

Stuart.