Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

2001 S 430

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:27 AM
Default RE: 2001 S 430

Mark,

Nothing wrong with your approach but IMHO its just not worth the effort at 60k and you risk introducing a foreign body into the system.

Auto Trans are manufacturered under "clean room" conditions since the smallest particle of debris in the hydraulic system can cause major issues. Even removing the filter can allow a bit of debris to get on the incorrect side of the filter. Modern oils have fantastic performance and unless you do something VERY unusual with your car (i.e. Continuously tow a two ton trailer up mountains in Death Valley Arizona (50deg C) the oil will last "for life".

I can't contest that new oil isn't better than old oil or that you will avoid debris getting in because you will be doing the work in an operating theatre BUT I just ask....why do you want to change the oil when the manufacturer themselves do not identify auto trans oil change points (even on service schedules that recognise >100k mile ownership) ?.

If indeed the pan has to be removed to rectify a leak etc then using new (recommended) oil is a no brainer BUT much debate exists about exactly what is in the special MB Auto Trans oil. Fundamentally I'm sure it is based on Dextron etc but something...even if its just a bit of extra colour...is added and although MB charge an arm and a leg for their "special" oil I wouldn't risk using something that is specifically "Not Recommended". The same goes for Spark plugs etc.

Often marketing hype states that you will get extra gas mileage etc if you use the latest three tipped spark plug or whatever BUT fail to advise that due to some characteristic of the engine you may end up with a burnt piston. Stick with what the manufacturer recommends. I know, I used to do a lot of this testing...manufacturers carry out tests over millions of miles on their products to reduce failure incidence (in addition of course to customer feedback) to a minimum whereas aftermarket goody parts can't hope to do similar (if indeed any) appropriate testing.

I'm sure you are aware of the Class act against MB over the use of incorrect engine oil and its interaction with the ASSYST Service Counter system in the USA. How MB lost this I do not understand but it appears that Custom and Practice...which is very different in the USA...takes precedent over CLEAR and UNEQUIVOCAL instructions in the handbook! Glad i didn't have to cover the costs!
Using non recommended lubricants can be VERY detrimental.

Stuart

Old 10-31-2007, 06:16 AM

Stuart, thank you. I think you've convinced me to follow the factory recommendations....if it's not bothering, leave it alone.
Are spark plugs 60,000 or 100,000 miles?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:58 AM

Not sure of official MB plug change point.
Think it was 75k on my M112 R170 but have a feeling it changes Market to Market.

My current w220 M112 is at 120k now and I believe the plugs to be original since I purchased it in poor condition at 90+k. All are perfect colour. Good gas mileage 30+ miles/gall imp overall and 35mpg on 200 mile highway trips at legal speed. Gaps on plugs remain at spec. No problems so I don't intend changing them yet (12 on the M112) but when I do I'll use genuine MB (Beru) even though they are more expensive. However I'm sure Bosch and other reputable makes would no doubt be OK. I save on Labour rather than skimp on the Parts. At least MB parts fit without question or trouble.

Stuart