Mercedes S Class Mercedes S350, Mercedes S430, Mercedes S500 and Mercedes S600 Sedans.

1991 560 SEL Blower may not be working

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Default 1991 560 SEL Blower may not be working

Hi Folks,
I Recently purchased a 1991 560 SEL in real good shape but the blower for the ventilation system inside the cabin may not be working. I knew this was the problem going into the deal but I couldn't pass it up. I figured with my electrical and mechanical background I would be ablle to figure it out.. I basiscally purchased a car with one previous owner who kept "scary" great records from oil changes to valve cover gasket replacement, etc. Does any one have any idea where I should start without tearing this GEM apart? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

check fuse first then...
hmmm, coud be the blower motor or the AC control panel. Blower motor is pretty simple you can find one somewhere anywhere from a salvage yard if you want to finding ones from online sources and they not tht pricey. And they are easy to get to. Passenger side, take off the kick panel under the dash and you'll see the blower motor and it's case. You'l see the screw for the panel but be careful as there have been cases of people taking that last screw out and getting face full of blower motor. Now if you get motor that is known to work and still dont work the it might be the control panel or the wires in between. Too see more of theblower assembly... hell the 91 have te airbag and I dont how to remove that safetly without perma dash light yet. but behind there you can see a little more of the connectors and make sure all connecting wires arent frayed or in bad condition. From there you can get it blowing and find out other kinks in the system i.e any nonfunction doors, pods, vaccuum leaks, etc (AC components not body).
The next step is see if the compressor kicks in or not or on/off. If you see if function 90 of battle is done. If not, then have to track that reason down which is another battle in it's own but not too hard. Just tedious.