Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

worst vehicle i ever owned

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 02:48 AM
Default RE: worst vehicle i ever owned

My 1998 ML320 has 160,000+ miles on it. The air conditioner needed to be 'rebuilt' (around $2000) 2 years ago, but I haven't had any other problems. The engine runs strong, the transmission has its quirks, but is unchanged from when I got the vehicle 140,000 miles ago! The interior is now a little worn, but the vehicle has not exactly been pampered. It is an SUV with emphasis on the 'utility' and thats how I use it. I am sorry to hear a few people have had problems, but I am quite satisfied with the way my ML has performed over the years. The new ML looks like it is quite the improvement so I would consider buying one to replace my ML when it finally gives up the ghost. Maybe I will get one of those million mile plaques before it does so.

Old 08-23-2005, 10:39 PM

I agree -I have a 2000 ML 430 and it constantly has problems - check engine light has become a constant. I hardly have 68K miles on my car (just broken into according to my husband) but its just not good car - I am actually apprehensive about buying another MB ever again (oh! I heard if you buy a Porsche, they pay off your mercedes - no negative equity applied ;-)

Old 08-29-2005, 02:31 PM
AEC

We purchased a 2000 ML320 as well. The vehicle handles great in the rain and snow, is roomy and comfortable. However, I do not believe we bought a lemon. I do believe there was Zero quality control. My list of repairs:

Front seat plate replaced (after 3 trips to dealer) in first month due to squeak in base of seat (weighed about 30 lbs)
Water pump replaced
Vacuum booster replaced
Left Front window power module replaced
Passenger seat power module replaced ($200+)
2 bulbs in dash (same one) replaced twice
rear cable snapped preventing seats from laying flat in rear replaced ($250)
rear brake light replaced
CD changer replaced
rear bulb on license plate replaced
vehicle sensor lights going on and off every month or so (Nothing wrong-just kept blinking-still do)
air conditioning vent in dash kept closing (I open it and it closed)
Okay - 42k - Vehicle in shop more in 5 years than my 94 Accord w/136k miles -Glad I paid 2000 for extended warranty, though it has not paid for itself. It now has 88k miles on it and we just drove the the ML350 and my wife loved it. (I think she has an "I'm w/stupid Tee Shirt"). It is nothing like our 2000. I would lease this one so I could write off the lease payment for her business and it would still be "new" in 39 months. I just don't know if I am kidding myself into believing this one will actually be of the level of quality I would expect from Lexus, Acura, etc. I know all manufacturers have problem vehicles. Whether it's a Camry, Accord or RX. But look at my list above. I think maybe I need a brain scan (they probably won't find one).

Old 08-30-2005, 01:39 PM

I have a 2001 320 and have been in the shop often--small things--but now expensive. The vehicle is super in the mountains and absolutely the best in snow. I think that the building of the vehicle lacked a lot of inspections, thus the problems that shouldn't have happened. Still with 72K miles, it is a joy to drive but now with gas prices so high, wish it would run on regular!

Old 09-15-2005, 05:00 PM

My 98 320 was bought used in 99 w/about 22k mi. on it. Starmarked. It now has over 140,000 and I'm very happy with it. After multiple fuel system problems which were finally fixed under warrantee by replacing the US sourced POS fuel pump with a Bosh unit, I have no more fuel problems. Other issues: Belt tensioner exploded out of warrantee, switch cluster on steering column had to be replaced because the indicator stalk stuck (out of warrantee), Some noise near the transfer case was fixed for about $350 by the dealer (independents could not figure it out), Window switch cluster replaced by me as they started sticking. Replacement unit acted up within 6 months so I fixed it myself (re-contoured the switch throws for smoother operation).

This sounds like a lot but this car was built in 97 and I push it hard. I used to go off-roading with it, fording rivers etc. I used to pull a big heavy trailer. It has been deep into salt water and sand many tines launching and retrieving jet skis.
I used it to pull dozens of giant construction tires (2000 lb) on their side in sand (a ford 4x4 truck pulled ONE and spun its tires wildly. I pulled dozens, and never broke 1,500 rpm in low range), I used it to pull a greyhound bus around my property, I pulled a four runner out of sand dunes on the beach. I would throw 800lb of cargo in the back and drive hundreds of miles; sometimes with the trailer on the back. When people are avoiding flooded streets by sticking to the high side, I head for the water and floor it (there's no lines where the water is) When people are stuck in soft sand on the beach I have no problem. THIS CAR HAS BEEN USED HARD. Currently my transfer case wont go into low range and there is a noise coming from the front axle area. Both of which are probably my fault, and I will have them looked at some day. I guess some people got Lemons. If any ML should be a POS it should be mine, but it isn't. I love it and will drive it until I get several of those milage emblems. In-fact, I think I'm due one right now. Don't they have one for 150,000 KM?

One other thing: THEY DO RUN ON REGULAR GAS. I've been doing it for over 6 months. No economy penalty, but I do have to take a more active roll in power management. Because there is less peak power available all across the RPM range, I have to manually shift into 4th when climbing some hills such as the steeper highway overpasses. I guess I don't really have to but I can feel it hunt for the power and lose the battle to the knock sensor which retards the timing. Switching to 4th supplies it the power it needs w/o maxing out the available power in 5th. Others may find this unacceptable but at a saving of 20c per gallon I have no problem doing it. I also drive a lot more smoothly these days. I am getting almost 24 MPG on the freeway. Actually you may not experience the power hunting I just described, as I have oversized tires which make the gearing 6.5% higher than stock. That's my 2c.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:37 AM

ORIGINAL: smoother

My 98 320 was bought used in 99 w/about 22k mi. on it. Starmarked. It now has over 140,000 and I'm very happy with it. After multiple fuel system problems which were finally fixed under warrantee by replacing the US sourced POS fuel pump with a Bosh unit, I have no more fuel problems. Other issues: Belt tensioner exploded out of warrantee, switch cluster on steering column had to be replaced because the indicator stalk stuck (out of warrantee), Some noise near the transfer case was fixed for about $350 by the dealer (independents could not figure it out), Window switch cluster replaced by me as they started sticking. Replacement unit acted up within 6 months so I fixed it myself (re-contoured the switch throws for smoother operation).

This sounds like a lot but this car was built in 97 and I push it hard. I used to go off-roading with it, fording rivers etc. I used to pull a big heavy trailer. It has been deep into salt water and sand many tines launching and retrieving jet skis.
I used it to pull dozens of giant construction tires (2000 lb) on their side in sand (a ford 4x4 truck pulled ONE and spun its tires wildly. I pulled dozens, and never broke 1,500 rpm in low range), I used it to pull a greyhound bus around my property, I pulled a four runner out of sand dunes on the beach. I would throw 800lb of cargo in the back and drive hundreds of miles; sometimes with the trailer on the back. When people are avoiding flooded streets by sticking to the high side, I head for the water and floor it (there's no lines where the water is) When people are stuck in soft sand on the beach I have no problem. THIS CAR HAS BEEN USED HARD. Currently my transfer case wont go into low range and there is a noise coming from the front axle area. Both of which are probably my fault, and I will have them looked at some day. I guess some people got Lemons. If any ML should be a POS it should be mine, but it isn't. I love it and will drive it until I get several of those milage emblems. In-fact, I think I'm due one right now. Don't they have one for 150,000 KM?

One other thing: THEY DO RUN ON REGULAR GAS. I've been doing it for over 6 months. No economy penalty, but I do have to take a more active roll in power management. Because there is less peak power available all across the RPM range, I have to manually shift into 4th when climbing some hills such as the steeper highway overpasses. I guess I don't really have to but I can feel it hunt for the power and lose the battle to the knock sensor which retards the timing. Switching to 4th supplies it the power it needs w/o maxing out the available power in 5th. Others may find this unacceptable but at a saving of 20c per gallon I have no problem doing it. I also drive a lot more smoothly these days. I am getting almost 24 MPG on the freeway. Actually you may not experience the power hunting I just described, as I have oversized tires which make the gearing 6.5% higher than stock. That's my 2c.
Amazing!! Glad to hear some positive notes! Living in SoCal and keeping it in great shape definitely shouldn't give me any problems then .

Old 06-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Default Bad vehicle

I agree with this guy. I own (not a proud owner) an ML430 that I have spent close to 9K in fixes already. Have had terrible issues with it. I posted my problem on carsurvey this year I was shocked at the amount of people with similar problems:
http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/mer...0808/comments/

Makes for some interesting reading. LOL. If any of you have a good ML, I would suggest getting rid of it before it becomes a bad one and count yourself lucky. Mine is presently listed on CL. Just spent almost 3K for the last repair this past month at the dealer.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 AM

Paul
Your harmonic balancer was replaced free of charge because they have recall on them.
Mine was replaced last year for free (first and last visit to dealership since 55k miles).
I didn't expect from my 99ML320 to be as good as my old W126 '80 280SE that was build 30 years ago in Germany. I can say now that is worst then I tought.
I don't think that the problem is the people that build it or in the quality control that it passed. I believe it is the lower standard of the company and the good old name.
Sure they can compete with others at low price if they now that you will spend the extra $20,000 later in repairs. They are counting on it plus who cares in these days?!
There is many issues on ML that should be recalled but it's cheaper to hire more lawyers then fix all the lemons for free.
Thanks God that I can do all the maintenance and repairs myself.
We are all in the same boat now, so lets help each other at least with good info to save some $$$

There is my 2 cents.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:43 AM

love my 2004 270cd ml.58k miles,no problems and its been remapped for a lot more power