Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

ML 350 Rear Glass Spontaneously Breaks

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Default ML 350 Rear Glass Spontaneously Breaks

Looking for feedback - Has anyone experienced the rear hatch window spontaneously breaking? A little background.. a couple of weeks ago my 2010 ML 350 was parked. When I returned I found the rear hatch glass had was broken. I reported it to the building management assuming someone broke int my car. The building security told me that the glass broke spontaneously. Two women walking by the car saw it happen and reported it to security. Additionally, the building had a video showing the glass breaking spontaneously.

I went to my Mercedes dealership to have it repaired - I assumed under warrenty.. Bad assumption. They said glass breakage wasnt covered under warrenty unless it was from a defect. You would think that the only way it would have broken would be from a defect and since I had two witnesses and a video - that should have been sufficient to prove that the glass was defective - what else could have caused the breakage. The dealership said that they would take it to the zone office and they refused to cover it under warrenty and they presented me with a $875+ bill.

Subsequently, I escalated it to Mercedes customer care... what a BAD experience. No explaination as to what could have caused the break if it wasnt defevtive glass and they stood by the decisions made locally. Further they stated that glass wasnt covered under warrenty unless it was defective. I expected better.

Any thoughts??

Old 07-06-2017, 08:20 AM
Default Hatched glass spontaneously shatters

Today, July 6, 2017. This morning, I discovered that my hatch window was shattered; glass covered my garaged floor. When I parked in my garaged last night, the window was fine. This morning was a different story. I had no explanation for this. There was no break-in, my garage doors were all closed, nothing had fallen on the glass. It all seemed bizarre until I read your correspondence. My vehicle is the 2014 ML 350 4 Matic..

Has this happen to anyone else???

Last edited by ml350owner; 07-06-2017 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 03-26-2018, 09:48 AM
Default spontaneously shattered rear window

Yes, it just happened to me. I have an 09 ML350 and yesterday morning I woke up to glass all over my garage floor. The garage door had been closed all night and there is no damage to any of the windows on it. I thought one of my kids managed to close the garage door on the back window of the ML or that it had been broken when I was at a friends house the night before. Never would have expected that the rear window would spontaneously shatter. Fortunately, it's only a $50 deductible to get it taken care of, but what a pain in the butt. And how does this happen anyway?

Old 06-09-2018, 07:04 PM

I briefly worked at an automobile window manufacturer a couple of years ago. Very occasionally a window would implode for no reason, usually right after picking it up. You'd grab a window then look down to see you are only holding onto little pieces of it and the rest exploded to the ground. It does happen. Otherwise, it could have lost adhesion and fell from the car.

Old 11-08-2021, 03:55 PM
Default 2007 mercedes ml320 cdi rear tailgate window cracked

this afternoon i was leaving my house for some reason i seen my tailgate window cracked. i been doing some research here and seen some people with the same issues. im not sure what had or what happened but it was cold the day before some sort of weather changes out here. in the corners it looked lit someone tried to remove the whole window by chipping corners but if it was someone there was no sign of damaged paint or nothing in that source maybe it was a weather cause of being like that. maybe it was situation randomly. no signs of foul play neither just shattered window litterly in cracks small broke spot

Old 11-08-2021, 04:01 PM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by ML Mike
Looking for feedback - Has anyone experienced the rear hatch window spontaneously breaking? A little background.. a couple of weeks ago my 2010 ML 350 was parked. When I returned I found the rear hatch glass had was broken. I reported it to the building management assuming someone broke int my car. The building security told me that the glass broke spontaneously. Two women walking by the car saw it happen and reported it to security. Additionally, the building had a video showing the glass breaking spontaneously.

I went to my Mercedes dealership to have it repaired - I assumed under warrenty.. Bad assumption. They said glass breakage wasnt covered under warrenty unless it was from a defect. You would think that the only way it would have broken would be from a defect and since I had two witnesses and a video - that should have been sufficient to prove that the glass was defective - what else could have caused the breakage. The dealership said that they would take it to the zone office and they refused to cover it under warrenty and they presented me with a $875+ bill.

Subsequently, I escalated it to Mercedes customer care... what a BAD experience. No explaination as to what could have caused the break if it wasnt defevtive glass and they stood by the decisions made locally. Further they stated that glass wasnt covered under warrenty unless it was defective. I expected better.

Any thoughts??
happened to me today looked like not sign of a rock thrown at me or nothing. i looked inside cause there was a small crack but i didn't see anything. the corners of the glass looked like someone tried to pick the corners first but no sign of damaged to paint

Old 11-08-2021, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ryan Coburn
Yes, it just happened to me. I have an 09 ML350 and yesterday morning I woke up to glass all over my garage floor. The garage door had been closed all night and there is no damage to any of the windows on it. I thought one of my kids managed to close the garage door on the back window of the ML or that it had been broken when I was at a friends house the night before. Never would have expected that the rear window would spontaneously shatter. Fortunately, it's only a $50 deductible to get it taken care of, but what a pain in the butt. And how does this happen anyway?

yo idk but it happened to me today how did the glass look when you checked was the inside of the car the window spot shattered from inside? mine looked like a small hole with a big line in the middle left to right cracked! no sign or foul play the windows looked like the corners were chipped but no sign of chipped paint or damaged like they or whoever was reckless