Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

ML 270 Engine ; SOS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 PM
Unhappy ML 270 Engine ; SOS

Dear Friends

MY mechanic informed my ML 270 engine condition as follow ;

> During the compression test done recently, the compression pressure
> wear value are all at the minimum wear limit value of between 17 -
> 19 bar. This will increase the blow-by pressure due to some slack of
> the piston ring. Thus, there will be more blow-by gas escaping from
> the top breather hose. The top breather hose is originally fitted to
> the turbocharger air intake hose. The turbocharger unit is cooled
> and lubricated by the engine oil.

2)

Sorry for the delay in giving you the test result. Please find attached the compression test recording chart (refer fig 1). The result shows cyl. 1: 17.0 bar, cyl. 2: 19.0 bar, cyl. 3: 18.0 bar, cyl. 4: 17.5 bar, cyl. 5: 17.5 bar. Please also find attached the MB standard compression pressure figures. Based on your actual engine compression figures, the normal standard compression tolerance value should be between 29 to 35 bar (refer fig 2). The compression pressure wear limit value should be around 18 bar. Since your engine actual value are between 17 - 19 bar, these figures are at minimum wear limit value
__________________________________________________ ____________________

I need advice from you all. Should I replace a new engine ( as advised from my mechanic because no piston kit for replace )
?

Regards

KS

Old 06-02-2009, 10:30 PM

Have the compression checked with another mechanic/workshop first.to be sure of same test result

Old 06-03-2009, 02:58 AM

Thank you. May I know is there any repair kit for ML 270 piston ?

Old 06-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Default ML 270 Engine SOS

Originally Posted by dobsen
Have the compression checked with another mechanic/workshop first.to be sure of same test result
Not easy Dobsen, I'm staying in a small town. Only one authorised Mrce workshop, I can't find second opinion here.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:16 PM

As long as you have you internet On, you have all the options in the whole wide world.
Why not change only the compression rings that are your only problem?
You are telling us that is easy to find new replacement engine in this small town that you live in but hard to find replacement parts that are expected to wear out.
Usually, the mfg. minimums are still plenty good enough to keep the engine nicely running. I would get second opinion and measurements.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Unhappy ML 270 Engine SOS

Originally Posted by mbenz80
As long as you have you internet On, you have all the options in the whole wide world.
Why not change only the compression rings that are your only problem?
You are telling us that is easy to find new replacement engine in this small town that you live in but hard to find replacement parts that are expected to wear out.
Usually, the mfg. minimums are still plenty good enough to keep the engine nicely running. I would get second opinion and measurements.

Dear Sir

Sorry I never claim that it is easy to get the new engine from here. All the parts need to import from outside ; headache.

Perhaps you can help from your experience. Let me describe my car condition

1) Black Engine oil leaking - from ventilation horse ( engine - Turbo unit ). They claimed this is normal.the
engine oil leaking is due to the ventilation
hose harden and gas with oil is flowing out from the joint.

2) Later we changed all ventilation horse but engine oil leaking problem still persist.

3) They call for compression test & confirmed need to overhaul the engine ( change piston ).

Before they call for compression test, they claimed inspection on the cylinder liner that at this point in time there are no score marks found.

I don't think they are qualify. It's a shame, talked a lot rubbish.

I will hope only to replace compression ring. Please advice. Thanks a lot.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:04 AM

Yes, that is the way to go.
I would check cylinder walls with inspection camera/light through glow plug holes.
If you know that there are no scratches, your pistons are fine.
Through same hole, you could air pressure test each cylinder to see where the blow-by is (compression rings or valves).
My guess would be valves reather then the rings unless wrong oil/fuel was used in your engine to let the rings to wear out faster.
I will check my Star manual but I believe the 270 is not in there because it was not sold here on US market.
How many kilometers you have on your engine, what year is your car and what is your location? Sorry if I have said something to hurt your feelings in my previous reply but mechanics usually would like to replace the biggest part of a problem first or the whole engine just to be safe. Of course it will take care of your problem but also that is the largest expense on your car.
I would compare it to Dodge Intrepid with 2.7L gasoline engine (bad timing design) you can buy them by kilo or pound it is so many of them available with bad engine and every one claims that they need new engine. I bought 5 of them, never puld one engine out of them, replaced valves and timing components with my own-redesigned chain tensioner and no problem since. Just because of one little engineering mistake that could go bad at anytime, some with even less then 30,000 miles on them.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 AM

Thanks Sir, sorry don't get me wrong, I didn't blame you. I just want get my problem solve. Appreciated.

Car made : End Year 2002 - Nov.

Problem occured : When was only around 70,000km.

Compression test result attached before but I just got doubt ?? Now attached again & also the parts advice to replace.

The car use to be not to start for more than 6 months ( I'm outstation ). During around 65,000km at that time.

Regards

KS

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
fig 1.PDF (11.7 KB, 733 views)
File Type: pdf
fig 2.PDF (13.3 KB, 732 views)

Last edited by KS Audio; 06-10-2009 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:02 PM

Hi KS,
is your engine same as in Dodge Sprinter?
Here is link to aftermarket set of standard size compression rings for 5 cyl. 2.7L diesel:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DODGE...4506.m20.l1116
There is also one engine with only 90,000 miles on it with same problem as yours.
I will find out more and let you know later.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:52 PM

Hi Mbenz80

Thanks for your info.

Sorry I know nothing about engine. Will check with my friend about Dodge Sprinter.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards

KS.

Quick Reply: ML 270 Engine ; SOS