Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

M-CLASS RELIABILITY

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 07:23 PM
Default M-CLASS RELIABILITY

hi my name is Justin and I am in need of some advice. I am currently in the process of purchasing a used 98-99 ML 320. I would just like to know how reliable they would be and how is the maintainance. i.e. is it a pain to maintain? etc. thanks in advance.

Justin

Old 06-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Default RE: M-CLASS RELIABILITY

I have had a 1999 ML320 since new and it has had relatively few problems. Here they are:

- fuel tank leak - took dealer(s) 3 tries to replace seal under warranty
- painted wheel paint flaking off - MB repaired
- front bumper paint cracking/chipping off - MB wouldn't fix
- combination power window switch in console: replaced twice, once under warranty - this is a recurrent problem
- dash bulbs go out - I believe Sylvania had the contract and provided inferior bulbs
- glove compartment light broke - needed replacement of receptacle
- cup holder broke - this is a weak point - be careful with these
- rear hatch mechanism broke - needed full mechanism replaced at 105,000 miles
- started using more oil (1 qt per 1,500 miles) got better with repair of recirculation pump on emission control apparatus
- driver power seat control not working - common problem with switches
- alternator belt tensioner apparatus making noise at 108,000 miles - $250 to replace
- trip computer lights out - needs new module
- transmission shifting poorly - fixed with transmission service (twice since new) use only MB fluid on this one
- pieces of plastic in interior break, especially on seats - we have third row seats

Brakes and rotors last about 40,000 miles (front) and 80,000 miles (rear) - not too difficult to do yourself
Tires last 60,000 miles
Factory changed fuel filter and connections at end of 1999 - needs retrofit
Door seals need upgrade (added by dealer under warranty if requested) to keep it from sounding like an air leak
Originally MB didn't require synthetic oil (I always use it) so some ML's may have worn engine parts - addressed by MB if oil consumption less than about 800 miles per quart

Wife gets 23 mpg with this thing. Loves it. We will trade up to a new long wheelbase diesel ML when available

Old 07-16-2004, 05:32 PM

Looks like you got lots of small problems,

I have second hand 2001 ML320, I put 6000 miles in 4 months,

so here's what I got.

1- air dedector fault, caused check engine light on (fixed %100)
2- driver side window button broke. (fixed %100)
3- driver side under seat plastic broke (fixed %80)
4- trunk lock broke. (fixed %100)
5- noise on the driver side door (fixed %100)

there is also little noises come from the back but I can find where is it come from, service also don't want to find it or something.

thanks.

Old 08-29-2004, 01:53 AM
Default 5 repairs in 6,000 miles ?

I have to say the same. Bought mine with 90,000 miles ,, now with 101,000 I have had about 7 prbblems.
-replaced window switch
- replaced squeeky shock
- replace BOTH horns
- cleaned out EGR tube
- there's more but i forget..

Old 11-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Default dont get this suv

Back in the day I was like you. I wanted to by a Mercedes. I thought they were great cars and so despite seeing a lot of negative comments on the reliability of the ml320 I went ahead a bought one. I got a 2001. Well I wish I never bought the thing. When it runs its GREAT, but when it has problems you pay big. I figured what are the odds that I get a lemon. Well I got one and I am paying big. I have had the car for less than a year and its already had $3000 in work on it. IN LESS THAN A YEAR!!! That doesn’t include oil changes and general maint. That’s ridiculous. If I didn’t spend so much money on this car I would trade it in. My advise to you…don’t buy this SUV….I mean I love it when its running but it’s just not worth it. I got the warranty on it but it doesn’t pay for as much as you think.

Old 12-15-2004, 01:55 PM

Had a '99 ML320 until a few months ago. Put on about 80,000 miles. I agree with previous post. Window switches replaced twice under warranty (a common problem). Cupholder springs also prone to breaking. Repair yourself, easy enough to do. '98 & '99 ML interior plastic trim pieces are prone to break. Later years they were improved. ML brake pads and rotors are a weak point,also. I regularly replaced pads every 20,000 miles and rotors every 40,000 miles. The 2000 and newer ML's are much improved with fit and finish. Also, they have improved and additional sound deadening and door gaskets.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

now that's one happy ML owner i first know.
i believe it also depends on the end user who understands the systems and knows how to do the small things and accept the fact that no parts are made to last forever.

[sm=interesting.gif]

Old 01-25-2005, 01:51 AM

My wife's 99 model (picked in Sept 98) is having about 50,000 miles on it.
I just replaced brake pads on it (well over $200 for pads alone). Sounds, like we are the lucky one, because on the side of disconnected cup holders and some loose interior panels we didn't have any problems.
I abuse the car towing 5000+ (don't ask) trailers, what the car (truck?) do with great distinction.

Old 01-25-2005, 09:35 PM

If you live in the United States, than you can't get a true German Mercedes. Chrysler is the one that manufactures Mercedes cars in US. Chrysler can't really build their own cars and forget about building German High End cars even though they use 75% german parts.

Old 01-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

i thought they only make M-Class in US.

Quick Reply: M-CLASS RELIABILITY