Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Loud Engine Noise at Start-up

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Default Loud Engine Noise at Start-up

Test drove a 2012 ML350 yesterday. Engine made a rather loud, obvious rattling noise when started. It lasted about 5 seconds then smoothed out and quieted. The sales person told us it is something all 2012s do to somehow hasten the warm-up of the engine. Made no sense to me and I find it troubling. Did not try starting another 2012. Any thoughts?

Old 10-20-2013, 02:26 PM
Default Loud Engine Noise at Startup

Thanks ForcedInduction. My problem is it's the Mercedes dealership senior sales person who went on the test drive with us who told me the noise is typical of all 2012s during the first 5 seconds or so of startup. Looks like I won't be buying that car or from that dealership.

Old 10-20-2013, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by retiredva
Test drove a 2012 ML350 yesterday. Engine made a rather loud, obvious rattling noise when started. It lasted about 5 seconds then smoothed out and quieted. The sales person told us it is something all 2012s do to somehow hasten the warm-up of the engine. Made no sense to me and I find it troubling. Did not try starting another 2012. Any thoughts?
Yes there is a fix, Complain to the dealer about rattle noise at start up. There is a service bulletin related to it.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:44 AM
Default Loud Engine Noise at Startup

Here's some new information. Yesterday, I contacted 4 Mercedes dealers in Virginia about the issue. Without hesitation, each service technician (and one service manager) stated that's common with all 2012 MLs and many, if not all, E Class as well. One stated it has something to do with the emissions control. Another said it's common if it has been sitting unused for a few days, but would not happen when driven every day. Another said it would happen when started each morning. Guess it's normal, but do I want to spend 40 grand for a car that sounds like an old beater for 5 seconds when I start it? (My wife really wants one of these so I guess I may be stuck.)

Old 10-22-2013, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by retiredva
Here's some new information. Yesterday, I contacted 4 Mercedes dealers in Virginia about the issue. Without hesitation, each service technician (and one service manager) stated that's common with all 2012 MLs and many, if not all, E Class as well. One stated it has something to do with the emissions control. Another said it's common if it has been sitting unused for a few days, but would not happen when driven every day. Another said it would happen when started each morning. Guess it's normal, but do I want to spend 40 grand for a car that sounds like an old beater for 5 seconds when I start it? (My wife really wants one of these so I guess I may be stuck.)
The noise is caused by the secondary chain tensioners which don't hold pressure. There is one tensioner under each cam cover at the front of the engine. Document # LI05.10-P-056435.
Only for engines 276 , 350 and 278, 550 engines. And AMG engines 157..

Attached Thumbnails Loud Engine Noise at Start-up-bulletin1.jpg  

Last edited by chassis221; 10-22-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Default Engine Noise in ML350

Thank you Chassis221. My apologies in advance for this rather dimwitted response. Since I don't understand chain tensioners and I'm not sure whether it's a defect that they don't hold pressure, I'm still wondering whether I should buy the vehicle. The bulletin attachment is too small for me to read when I opened it on my computer and I'm not sure I understand the overall meaning of your response. Let's see if I have it correct. Engine 276 in the ML350 and engine 278 in the ML550 will make this noise and it's either put up with it or don't by the vehicle. If that is correct, here's the really dumb question. Were there engines other than the 276 made for the ML350? In other words, if I shop around can I find one with a different engine that will not make this noise and, if so, how would I identify it?
Again, thank you for your patience.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:53 AM

Try the belt tensioner, test bearing with bench with belting on. Otherwise check the belting for crack, cut/torn.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:12 AM
Default Chain Tensioners-NOT

Originally Posted by chassis221
The noise is caused by the secondary chain tensioners which don't hold pressure. There is one tensioner under each cam cover at the front of the engine. Document # LI05.10-P-056435.
Only for engines 276 , 350 and 278, 550 engines. And AMG engines 157..
So, I have a 2013 ML 350 gas, and lately I’ve been hearing a loud rattling in the engine at start up. I park in the garage and live in Los Angeles, so it really doesn’t get under 60 in there. Anyways, they told me it was the Tensioners that needed replacement so after paying $2000, the noise went away for about a week but you can still hear a little rattling. 1 mine later, the rattling returned and is louder then ever. Every time I start it up in public, people look over to see what that was. I need help!!!!!

Old 09-14-2021, 12:09 PM
Default Possible other issue

Originally Posted by Dave Richards
So, I have a 2013 ML 350 gas, and lately I’ve been hearing a loud rattling in the engine at start up. I park in the garage and live in Los Angeles, so it really doesn’t get under 60 in there. Anyways, they told me it was the Tensioners that needed replacement so after paying $2000, the noise went away for about a week but you can still hear a little rattling. 1 mine later, the rattling returned and is louder then ever. Every time I start it up in public, people look over to see what that was. I need help!!!!!

Another common rattle at start-up noise issue with the M278 v6 comes from the camshaft phasers or adjusters. They hydraulically control intake and exhaust camshaft angle.

When they fail, they stop retaining oil pressure and rattle,

A noise caused by failed adjusters will normally continue longer than the 4-5second noises of chain tensioners... Also you may hear.the rattle after the car gets warm as well once the adjuster fully fails

Old 09-14-2021, 12:19 PM

It's also worth noting that the valvetrain system actually contains 3 chain tensioners and all have the possibility to fail, the easiest to get to, and normally the only ones.changed are the secondary chain tensioners in the cylinder heads.

However there is also a primary chain tensioner behind the front timing cover, this tensioner requires the removal of pretty much every piece of the engine and then some depending on your trim level. Typical labor time for this repair is 18-20hrs. If you had tensioners done for far less they where just the secondary ones.

On that same note: if you had timing chains replaced,.do not assume that all of your tensioners were replaced, the secondary chains can be what we call 'rolled in' with minimal disassembly.
If they recommend timing chains make sure to ask which ones.. and the labor rate for the two jobs is significantly different

What your engine looks like while getting a full timing chain and tensioner set..

Quick Reply: Loud Engine Noise at Start-up