Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

How Diagnostics Work Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 AM
Question How Diagnostics Work Please

Hello there,

I wonder if you can help please? I took my 2007 ML320 (70k) into the Mercedes Dealership yesterday because my Orange Engine Light illuminated and the vehicle went into limp mode. Now, it may be me being highly suspicious but I am not keen on the way the Dealership work and would like some advice if possible. You expect the Dealership to be completely trustworthy but I think they have tried to inflate the extent of the work that needs doing.

We were told that the dianositcs test had pulled up a number of issues but the important one that needed doing to remove the Engine light was a replacement of the Servo Motor at a cost of £680. They also said that there was further work needed on the Turbo and manifold which could cause problems in the future and as they were taking it apart for the Servo Motor, they could do these jobs for an additional £2,200!!!!
Anyhow, as we only purchased the car in August 2011 and have already had to spend £1200 on it to get bits and pieces put right (we like to look after our cars), we just asked them to do the £680 job and said we would look at selling it because it seems like it was going to be a money pit.

When we went to collect the car yesterday evening, I asked to see a copy of the Diagnostics report in order to get the fault codes for the other work that they claimed needed doing so I could look on this forum to find out how serious they might be. However, when I looked at the diagnostics report, the only fault codes that were showing were the two that they had repaired that day. Everything else looked fine and had a 'tick' next to it. I really do feel that they were making up problems in the hope that we would just agree to the full cost. The diagnostics report is not something that they would usually show you and they only did this because I asked specifically to see it.

Can you please advise whether it is likely that the mechanic might have seen other problems that the diagnositcs would not have shown up or whether you agree that the Dealership might have been inflating the level of work needed. I assume that as everything else on the report was 'ticked' this means that the car was free of faults apart from the two we actually had repaired. The advice of anyone who has had dealings with these diagnostics reports and how they should read would be very much appreicated.

I don't want to be on the verge of selling an otherwise sound car. I love the car and it drives like a dream.

Many Thanks
REgards
Paula