Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Finally did My own Brakes. Pics

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 07:51 PM
Default Finally did My own Brakes. Pics

Well after being quoted $550 per end for new brakes at my local MB dealer I decided they were smokin crack and just did it myself. I completed the job in less than an hour and the brake pads cost me a total of $60 for the fronts (ceramic) and less than $40 for the rear (oem). It was one of the easiest brake jobs I've ever done. Seriously, it was two bolts per caliper, and the way the pads clip in is extremely simple. Much easier than the last BMW I did. One strange thing is the rate the back pads had worn. I only have 44k miles and my back pads were completely worn out. (see pics) I've never expended rear pads in less than 90k miles on any previous vehicle. Can't explain that one. Well here are the pics.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Default RE: Finally did My own Brakes. Pics

I did mine also just last week and noticed the same thing. I instintivally only ordered front brakes and when I did the front I also rotated the tires. When I took the rear tires off I noticed that the rear brakes were also in need of being replaced. Does anyone know why?

Old 09-14-2005, 11:26 PM

ORIGINAL: daleneg

I did mine also just last week and noticed the same thing. I instintivally only ordered front brakes and when I did the front I also rotated the tires. When I took the rear tires off I noticed that the rear brakes were also in need of being replaced. Does anyone know why?
Can't say for sure, but I remember seeing someone with a ML-500 complaining about getting less than 20k out of their rear pads some time ago. Honestly I can't think of any reason for them to have worn so quickly, but I must admit, the car has excellent stopping power so they obviously have been doing their job well. For what it's worth, I switched to a ceramic pad on the front and I've put about 1000 miles on them so far without any brake dust whatsoever. With the OEM pads I would have needed to wash the wheels at least two or three times by now. I'm very pleased with the new setup.

Old 09-15-2005, 12:00 AM

I replaced the ML pads for my wife at around 46,000.
They were still OK, but don't think the thinest one would make 50k.
Evidently ML wears the pads much faster, than average car, since we drive mostly on freeways.

Old 09-15-2005, 02:32 AM

I hear everybody complaining about those brakes?! Can I find some directions somewhere on how to replace them? Do you need a lot of tools? Can you just do it by jacking up the car and replacing them wheel by wheel?

Thx so much for the help!

Old 09-15-2005, 04:53 AM

ORIGINAL: luciano136

I hear everybody complaining about those brakes?! Can I find some directions somewhere on how to replace them? Do you need a lot of tools? Can you just do it by jacking up the car and replacing them wheel by wheel?

Thx so much for the help!
It is really simple. You need a 17mm socket to get the wheel off. Once the wheel is off reach around the back of the caliper and you'll feel the head of the two bolts in the pic below. You'll need a 14mm socket to remove them.

Once they are removed you can work the caliper back and forth until it comes loose. Use a screwdriver if you need to give it a little more leverage. When you have it loose from the rotor it will be obvious how the pads pop out. Remove the outer pad first, then the pad on the piston side of the caliper second. Replace them in reverse order. Dude trust me they will only go in one way. Once you get her apart you'll see how simple it is. I did mine one corner at a time. Only had one jack. No need to have the entire car on jack stands or on a lift.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:12 AM

The front brakes use a #27 torx socket(I think). The back use the 17mm socket.

Old 09-16-2005, 01:12 AM

Thx a lot man! I'll save this page for future references. Just waxed the car up tonight. Man, huge job!! Doesn't take that long to do my Z3 .

Old 09-16-2005, 02:03 AM

You want to try waxing my 40' motorhome?

Old 09-16-2005, 02:23 AM

I guess I would just park that puppy out of the sun and don't worry about waxing ;-). I washed, dried and waxed the car tonight in about 2 hours. I had to hurry up because it's getting dark pretty fast.

Quick Reply: Finally did My own Brakes. Pics