Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Electronic Key Purchase and Programming

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Default Electronic Key Purchase and Programming

My 1st Mercedes key fob was lost out of my pocket on my motorcycle.
This week My wife ran my keys throught the washing machine. It will start the car , but the buttons dont work.
Whats the real story on programming. Does anyone have FIRST HAND experience on buying one from Ebay used and having Mercedes program it ?

The Dealer said $125 for the fob, then they program it for about $50 then you go to a skilled locksmith to have the blade cut.

I would like to buy one off ebay for $50 , figure out how to switch blades and have no choice but to have the dealer program it.

2) Has anyone swapped blades ? I see no obvious way to pull this Fob apart.

3) Has anyone First Hand replaced the Fob battery ?

steve
99 ML320

Old 05-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Default RE: Electronic Key Purchase and Programming

trust me your better off biting the bullet and getting a new key from the dealer and having them program it.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:21 PM

it is very possible that you will be able to restore your old one if it was not boiled. Most T/V engineers are capable of the work needed with minor damage. I would guess that it could be made to work without the charging ciruit. That circuit would have to be disabled to be safe.

There are several companies that sell the fobs and when they arrive there is usually a slip with the programing instructions on it.

A lot of these 'programing' deals are a rip-off. I DO NOT KNOW ABOUT MB cos I'm new to the type, but on Cadillac and other GM product, you teach the car about the fob. Ground a wire and send the signal from fob to the car. Then the second fob etc. If only one fob, you do it twice. That sort of programing.

Now, with MB being more complex, it is possible that they will make it harder, but someone will know. If you have a problem let me know and I'll see if I can find some old receipts. R

Old 05-31-2007, 10:38 AM

I tried it too, just have the dealer do it, 20 minutes they have to hook the car up to a scanner etc. Mine came pre-cut from the dealer once I gave them the VIN.After a quick stop while they programmed it and 150.00 later its fine. Well worth the $$ this time.