Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Dashboard lights flickering and speedo clocks on

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 05:39 AM
Cool Dashboard lights flickering and speedo clocks on

Hi guys! I have a problem with my W164.
Some 10 days ago i found the car with the two clocks and the info screeen between them on and cluster lights flickering, while the car was locked. I return to my garage and lock the car again - everything went off but in 10-15 seconds the cluster lights flickered and the dashboard wen ON again.
I unlocked the car again and lock again and everything went Off. Few days later the car was with drained battery. I jumpstarted tha car and went to STAR diagnosis, they said there is faulty battery. I changed the battery and 3 days everything was perfect - locking the vehicle, all lights went OFF.
But after 3 days in the garage i found the car again with the dashboard clocks and info display ON and cluster lights flickering. Went to STAR again, this time they said "Well it's the dashboard you have to change..."
I drove back to my garage and lock the car just for fun and.... everything went OFF. I checked the car 5 hours later and the dash was OFF, no flickering lights, no lit up clock. The next morning i found the car again locked, with the two clocks and info display ON and flickering lights.
Here is the video from the problem :
Also the battery drains out. I have changed both batteries now. Well the problem with the flickering dashboard is not from the batteries.
I changed the sealings on the rear taillights. Rear SAM was checked and cleaned. The module is dry.

Any suggestions, friends?

Old 10-02-2017, 11:55 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum! When you went the second time and they said that you have to change the dashboard, what was their reason behind this? What were the codes that came up or their diagnosis?

Old 10-03-2017, 12:49 AM

Here is the STAR scan pages. I think there is nothing about the dashboard in this pages. Only errors from the battery plugged off :

Attached Thumbnails Dashboard lights flickering and speedo clocks on-p1.jpg   Dashboard lights flickering and speedo clocks on-p2.jpg   Dashboard lights flickering and speedo clocks on-p3.jpg   Dashboard lights flickering and speedo clocks on-p4.jpg   Dashboard lights flickering and speedo clocks on-p5.jpg  

Dashboard lights flickering and speedo clocks on-p6.jpg  
Old 10-03-2017, 11:56 AM

Sorry, I'm unable to read that. What was their reason in suggesting that you need a new dashboard?

Old 10-03-2017, 02:35 PM

No specific technical reason - they just decide that this is more easy (and expensive) instead looking for the problem.
All those errors was from the battery plugin off and on for charging/save battery not drain again.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:14 PM

Are you able to take it to another shop to get it properly diagnosed? I've never encountered an issue where the solution was a new dashboard - there is likely a much less invasive, less expensive solution.

Old 10-04-2017, 03:43 AM

Yes the car was to another shop; they clean up the errors from above and nothing. When the dashboard flickers no additional errors found with the STAR so far.
Now the car is again to my mechanic shop for investagation of fuses 10 and 55. They are responsable for the dashboard lights and cluster lights .
We have to find the parasitic battery drain - how many amps; and after that to try to find wich module can send signals to those two fuses.
Any ideas?

Old 10-04-2017, 12:16 PM

Glad to hear that you were able to get it to another shop for a second opinion. It seems like once the shop goes through the electrical system they should be able to figure out what is going on. It just be faulty fuses if the flickering is the only issue - how does the car drive in general? Have you noticed this issue effecting other systems or the way the car performs?

Old 10-09-2017, 03:08 AM

There is no other system affected. The car is ok in general. Probable the problem is from one of the modules that are connected to the front SAM module. I have to figure out whre they are in the car.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:01 PM
Default What did you end up doing to fix your problem?

? Could you please follow up with what was ultimately found that was causing the problem. I have an 07 ml that is doing exactly what you showed in the video.

Quick Reply: Dashboard lights flickering and speedo clocks on