Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

Baton Rouge Dealer Refusing To Replace ML320 Converter

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 05:05 PM
Default Baton Rouge Dealer Refusing To Replace ML320 Converter

Hi All - I am new here so hope this posts correctly. I have a 2000 ML320 with a cracked catalytic converter. The weld has cracked which I understand is a commom problem and, in fact, the EPA fined MB $1.2 million and ordered a recall. However, the dealership here in Baton Rouge says it was never a "recall", it was a "service" which has now expired. I will need to pay full price for the fix which is estimated to be around $3,000. Ouch!!!

Has anyone else had a dealership to refuse to replace the converters on this model? Were you able to resolve the matter and, if so, how?

Thanks so much, Cynthia Cash

Old 06-08-2010, 06:57 PM

3,000 to fix that is outrageous. If you haven't already I recommend going to some independent shops and seeing if they offer you a lower price. If it's just a cracked weld I'm sure they can re-weld it or yank the old unit it, either way there is NO way it should total up to 3,000.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:07 PM

cats at the dealer are about....or used to be about $1000 per side and about 3 or 4 hours labor.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 PM

And all over the internet OEM for about $400 and any muffler shop can replace them for you.
The cracked weld on front cat converters is a recall, try other dealer or call MB customer service and ask them to issue you complain number, see what they say. They can check if your VIN is one of the effected vehicles.
If you check benzworld W163 forum, all the recalls are listed there.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:43 PM
Default Dealership refusing to replace catalytic converters

Hi All: Finally, today my situation w/the cracked weld on the catalytic converters (ML320) was solved. As I wrote, initially the local Baton Rouge dealership refused to replace the leaking converters. So I called the Compliance Division of the EPA, leaving a voice mail plea for help. The very next morning one of the complaince attorneys that worked on the case called, pledging to help. This was not the first time this had happened. As I suspected there is no expiration date on the recall. Part of the settlement w/MB is that all defective converters WILL BE replaced as needed by the consumer. I sent the EPA all my documentation including VIN #. By the end of the day, I received an e-mail from MBUSA, advising that the dealership WILL replace the converters!!! Same day service from the EPA...I was bolled over. It took awhile for the dealership to get in the parts, but as of today, "Big Stinky" is no more.

Anyone else that runs across this issue, call the Compliance Division of EPA in DC. Tom Ball is the fellow there familiar w/it all. Thank you, Tom!!!

Cynthia Cash
Baton Rouge, LA

Old 08-02-2010, 06:34 PM
Default Catalytic Converter

Dear Cynthia,

I read your thread with interest as two days ago I found myself with a cracked catalytic converter on my 10-year-old ML 320. Even though my VIN number falls within the range of the numbers that were recalled, they are claiming that because the car is 10 years old and serviced before, they are not obligated to fix it. I have tried to go up the "chain of command" at my local Mercedes Benz, but they are stonewalling me. Would you happen to have the number of the EPA Compliance Dept. in DC? Thank you so much for posting the thread. It's given me a little hope that, perhaps, there's a chance they'll replace the converter, and this will not be MY costly responsibility.

Thanks,
Lisa Zindman

Old 08-03-2010, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by cynthia cash
Hi All - I am new here so hope this posts correctly. I have a 2000 ML320 with a cracked catalytic converter. The weld has cracked which I understand is a commom problem and, in fact, the EPA fined MB $1.2 million and ordered a recall. However, the dealership here in Baton Rouge says it was never a "recall", it was a "service" which has now expired. I will need to pay full price for the fix which is estimated to be around $3,000. Ouch!!!

Has anyone else had a dealership to refuse to replace the converters on this model? Were you able to resolve the matter and, if so, how?

Thanks so much, Cynthia Cash
Oh yes, same exact thing happened to me, but at the time I was just a kid who just started a new job somewhere and didn't have that kind of money saved up. I had noticed it rattling after I started the engine up..it would get worse and worse over time until I raced someone at a stoplight and I heard a pop and immediately my transmission died down to first gear and I was limping at a staggering 40 kmh lol. So, ja, I had totally blown the convertor, but it's been 3 years now and not a problem since.

Old 08-03-2010, 03:59 AM

Lisa - While it has been a few months ago and I can not recall the exact number that I called to find a helpful person at the EPA Compliance Division, try one of these: 202-564-2280 or 202-564-0027. Ask for Tom Ball. If this fails you can e-mail me at cynthiacash@***.net and I can either forward your note or give you Mr. Ball's e-mail address. Yes, the local dealership stonewalled me until Mr. Ball stepped in, reminding them of their original settlement agreement w/the EPA. As a result, both my converters were replaced to the tune of over $3,000.00. I will be glad to help you as I have been there, literally!
Cynthia Cash

Old 08-03-2010, 07:44 AM
Default Thanks!

Thanks, Cynthia!

I'll try those numbers. Hopefully, Mr. Ball can expedite this matter for me. I'll let you know what happens! Your help is greatly appreciated!

Lisa Zindman
Long Island, NY

Old 08-03-2010, 10:42 AM

Lisa - I found another number. The contact at MercedesBenz that Tom Ball went through was Gary Browne. You can probably contact Mr. Browne directly w/out having to track down Tom Ball at EPA. Mr. Browne was very helpful and the one that actually contacted the Baton Rouge Dealer on my behalf, informing them that they had to replace my converters free of charge. Gary Browne's # is 201-573-2719. He is the head of vehicle compliance for MB USA. His email is browneg@mbusa.com. Best of luck, Cynthia Cash

Quick Reply: Baton Rouge Dealer Refusing To Replace ML320 Converter