Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

BAS/ESP LIGHT ON

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 01:14 AM
Default BAS/ESP LIGHT ON

On my 2001 ML320. The light stays on, and I have tried the ESP button, and nothing! This is the second day of owing this car and I really know nothing. It is the light all the way to the left in where the temp, speed etc are!

Thank you for any input!!

Allison

Old 06-10-2006, 11:08 PM
Default RE: BAS/ESP LIGHT ON

Mine is doing the same thing on my 2000 ML, but it is intermittent. I checked the air pressure in the tires to make sure that they are equal, and it's not because of that. I don't really see any relation as to when it turns on -- highway speeds, city driving, it doesn't matter -- but goes off when I turn off the ignition and restart, and may not come on again for a day or two. Anybody ahve any suggestions???

Old 06-11-2006, 01:26 AM

So this light has something to do with tire pressure?? What does BAS/ESP stand for??

Thank you

Old 06-12-2006, 07:02 PM

you need to get the codes read out for it. more than likely its a brake light switch there about 25 bucks at the dealer. bas stands for brake assist system.

Old 06-13-2006, 02:02 AM

BAS = brake assist system, and ESP = electronic stability program. My husband seems to think that it is a wheel speed sensor, or something to that effect, that is why I checked the tire pressure (which it also says could be the cause in the owner's manual). Can these codes be read with an OBDII at the local Auto Zone or something, or do you have to specifically have them read by the dealer???

Old 06-17-2006, 07:56 AM

Try changing fuses #10 and #13 in the fuse box on the drivers side , under the hood . They are both 10 amp fuses, and cost less than $1. Worked for me.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:35 PM

My ML500 is having a problem that I get the same lights, plus the ABS. I replaced the Brake Switch and still same problem. It actually only comes on when I steer to the extremely left. For example, it happens when getting into a tight parking space or reversing steering left. I dont know why its only to the left. Any ideas?

I hate those lights!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:10 AM

The BAS/ESP lights can be turned on by something as simple as low brake fluid level in the master cylinder. Check this carefully as there are two chambers. I always bump up against the car to see the fluid level move so I am not fooled by a dirt line. fluid levels naturally drop as your brake pads are used up so an occasional check is approriate.

On my 98 ML320, it turned out to be a bad solder joint at the ABS module, which caused the ABS pump to fail, at first intermittently, then almost every time I turned the key on (the ABS tests itself on everykey on cycle). NO codes were set!

for the ESP side, there is a sensor in the steering column that tells the ESP which way you are steering so it can help you make the correction. This sensor is a known weakpoint.

Jim in Phoenix

Old 09-24-2008, 04:39 PM

Yeah...the three lights turn on only when you turn the steering wheel to the extreme left. Could not figure out why. Is there a way to correct this without replacing the sensor. Will this error show up in the diagnostic?

Any idea about why once in a while after at a stop, the orange triangle will flash and you feel a grinding almost like trying to shift without pushing in the clutch. It happened at a dead stop and then accelerating at the lower gear. Once you turn off the car and restart, it goes away. So far happened twice in two weeks. Is it in the computer or a problem with something else? I had the brakes replaced, stop light switch, and had the fluids checked thoroughly.

Didnt know if I have to go to the dealer for a diagnostic or some place like Auto Zone would be able to pull up the codes?