Mercedes M Class Mercedes ML350 and Mercedes ML500 SUV's.

06 ML500 A/C problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 11:04 PM
Default 06 ML500 A/C problem

After researching for new SUV vehicle purchase for about four months which include Lexus GX470, Volvo XC90, BMW X5, MB ML350/500, and few others, I finally purchased MB ML500 '06 and took the delivery on December 17, 2005. I read as much as I could and test drive as much as I could here at Hawaii. BTW, there is only one dealer for each respective models that I was considering. Even though I have read many complaints against MB ML quality control issues recent years, I decided to take the chance on '06 ML500 mainly due to its refined beautiful design and partially because my wife really wanted to drive MB this time (our two previous vehicles were Lexus but not SUV). For about two days, our ML500 drove beautifully and everything worked flawlessly until yesterday. My wife went to do some X-mas shopping along with her three other friends on her brand new MB ML500 and all of sudden A/C went out and blowing just hot air all day long. What a disappointing first driving experience with the MB and I doubt any of her friends will be likely looking for their new cars in MB.

So after just three days of ownership of MB ML500, our SUV is in the dealership shop for repair. I still like its newly designed ML very much and I understand any number of things can go wrong in a brand new vehicle but it is rough start for us owning a MB SUV. Having said that, the color we choose was "alpine rain metallic" paint and it looks absolutely beautiful and it drives extremely smooth as well. I hope this A/C problem is minor issue and trouble free on rest of time but I will keep you update on our vehicle status as I get more information.

Old 12-22-2005, 04:32 PM
Default RE: 06 ML500 A/C problem

Yes please keep us informed. BTW is sure sounds strange for someone to go out Christmas shopping and using the A/C. [sm=smiley4.gif] But, I guess if you live in that beautiful of a climate, you need A/C year-round. I am extremely jealous!!! I hope they figure it out so you can enjoy it. Happy Holidays!

Old 12-24-2005, 09:54 PM

Well, we got our ML500 back from the dealer and its A/C system is working excellent so far. As far as I know, they have replaced the expansion valve, receiver dryer and recharged the freon. Everthing else is working as it should be now. The transmission is as smooth as it can be. I do notice little bit of jerking between 2nd and 1st gear but you have to pay real attention to notice, no different than other automatic transmission that I experienced. So as far as I am concern, that is not the issue at all. But during the highway and cornering, this SUV is amazingly graceful, responsive, and fun to drive. I will update if there is any other issue later good or bad to inform other potential buyers. So far, this SUV is as good as we hope for other than this A/C issue.

Old 03-07-2006, 01:49 AM

I was glad to read that your AC problem was resolved. I am awaiting deliveru of an 06 ML350 and was curious if you have had an other issues with your ML500. I was very skeptical when I ordered the ML as I have only owned BMW's for the past 7 years. I have had no problems with any of the vehicles and my dealer has exceeded all of my expectations. I am not familuar with the MB dealer although it is under new ownership and I am told they are very accomodating. Appreciate any additional infor you can share.

Thanks

Mark

Old 03-07-2006, 03:27 PM

So far, AC on my ML 500 is performing flawlessly. There is no other issue with the SUV. I know lots of people wondered about ML's reliability issue recently. I hesitated myself before I decided to purchase MB but decided to take a chance. We purchased Lexus in last two vehicles and they were exceptionally reliable but they were just became too "boring" to us. My wife is the primary driver for this ML500 and she absolutely fell in love with this SUV even with its initial AC hiccup. It is just fun to drive, cool looking and very smooth highway comfort with lots of interior cabin space. If this ML is performing as good as now, my wife may never go back to Lexus. No doubt Lexus is fine performing luxuary vehicle but MB has its own appeal and prestige that Lexus could never have, not yet anyway. Currently, we couldn't be any happier with our ML500 purchase decision.