Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:36 PM
Default Wiper vibration

2002 E320 has a wiper vibrates over 40mph. Is there something I can attach to it to force it down into the windshield more? If so, where can I find it?

Old 02-19-2007, 02:41 AM
Default RE: Wiper vibration

Hi,
Something must be wrong if the blades "vibrate" or lift at 40mph.

Usual problem is that the carrier that holds the wiping edge has become bent (snow or car wash) and no longer "STROPS" correctly at the end of each wiping strole. Alternatively the spring supplying the arm pressure has become weak etc.

Look at the external wiper system parts CAREFULLY and if damaged renew.

Are both wipers giving the same problem or just one?

The wiper should work fine up to max speed.......100mph++

Stuart

Old 02-19-2007, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the imput. There is only one wiper and it must be bent because the wind makes it vibrates like crazy. I will check to see if there is a loose spring. I remember an old VW Scirocco that had a type of wind scoop on it that forced it down into the windshield.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:50 AM

My 2002 E320 does the same thing at 60mph. It drives me nuts! The wiper is fine. I'm going to a MB dealer to either get a new spring or a whole new wiper arm.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:22 PM

I replaced the wiper blade with an OEM refill. Now I can go 75 before it vibrates. I may just duct tape the blade to the windshield.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:12 AM

Vibrates or judders (stick/slip).
i.e. is it lifting or stop starting as it wipes.
What exactly have you replaced?
Stuart.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:23 PM

I just replaced the wiper refill. It was ok for 3 days. Now it vibrates enough that i may just kick out the windshield. since this one-wiper car wiper blade spring gets stretched every time the wiper goes beyornd 90 deg, i think the spring is stretched and needs replaced. that is the next step.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:36 AM

Just goes to show how a little thing that doesn't work properly can make you go crazy.
Something is wrong. The system is designed to be capable of dealing with 150 mph and the wiper arm should be able to be bent back for screen cleaning etc.
You have fitted a NEW Mercedes wiper blade (what is a refil? Just the rubber or the arrmature and rubber?)
I asked what sort of vibration. This is important because the type of vibration may point to the screen (so pushing it out might not be such a bad idea. Joke) or the mounting for the whole mechanism.
If the mech lifts from the screen and therefore doesn't clear properly it is most like the spring that tensions the wiper blade to the screen.
If the blade does a start stop motion then it is likely the wiper motor mounting, the angle the blade makes to the screen (does the blade "strop" correctly at the extreme of the wipe) or maybe deposit build up (bad surface conditions i.e. wax) on the screen.
Since yours is a single wiper that also has the internal sweep adjust mech included it is possible that the guides that the mech follows within the wiper arm are worn allowing motion in directions that shouldn't occur which manifest as judder.
Without seeing the problem I can't really comment much further.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:08 AM

The MB wiper refill did not work. I ordered an entire new arm. No doubt it will cost billions, but if the noise will be gone, it's worth it.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:54 AM

I have had similar issues with Maercedes wipers on SL & W124 models - its worth paying a bit extra for a genuine MB blade and arm its always fixed mine.
Do not be tempted to buy a Bosch equivalent as they are not the same at least not in my experience.

Quick Reply: Wiper vibration