Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it time to kiss MB goodby?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Default When is it time to kiss MB goodby?

Any idea what might have bust this time?

My 03 E500 Sport still looks like new. It's rarely left out in the sun and almost never sees rain. I seem to do little but make a few short trips and have it checked by a major MB agent. Most of this has been free.

The coolant rad failed, and wrecked the gearbox. All done under a bumper to bumper deal the MB folk sold me when the 3 year warranty ran out. I wasn't really very impressed with MB about this. My car had 31k on it. Now at 32k, the front suspension totally collapsed on the right, the computer telling me to Stop. Car too low! Jacking causes all kinds of creaking and crunching noises from the front. I haven't had a look at it yet, just left it on the jack until MB place tells me what they think.

But what do you guys think?

In 50 years of high performance cars, starting with the E-type as we called it in the UK, I've not really had more than a few hours down-time. I like to think this is because I have a good awareness with what's going on, and keep ahead of the game. The gearbox failed because I couldn't see the texture of the oil...cos there's no #%@#$ dipstick.

This lightly used hi-end bit of kit seems like a joke to me. First time in my life, I've had to leave a car with a dealer for more than a few hours. Now I'm starting again and I'm hundreds of miles away from the preferred dealer.

Last edited by UK Texan; 06-18-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Default That sucks

Too bad about your 500. Not sure what to say. Sounds like you're getting the short end of the deal. Hopefully others will chime in with the same model and share their stories.

My 1998 E320 has 182K on it and runs great. I tinker with it from time to time and do the maintenance as required. You win some and you lose some... Good luck.