Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel alignment with 18" AMG's

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 01:14 PM
Default Wheel alignment with 18" AMG's

Please help!

I have a 2001 E320 CDI and have put 18" AMG alloy wheels on it. The tyres were wearing on the inside on both the front tyres so I took it to get the alignment done. When I took it there, they check it and said because the standard wheels for this car are 16" they will wear on the inside and they cannot adjust the alignment, they say they don't know what to do apart from buy some cam bolts? and put them on the car which mimght make some slight difference. I would have thought as these wheels are put on a lot of E class Mercs and are quite common it should not be a problem.........any advice would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Old 03-08-2005, 08:12 PM
Default RE: Wheel alignment with 18" AMG's

Thats the first time I hear about thing like this . My friend has a 99 E320 and he put 18" rims (not AMG) on it, and it just works fine !!! Maybe you rims are bended... hard to say! Anyways, I was actually looking for 18" AMG wheels for my 98 E320 ... how much did u pay for those ???

Old 03-09-2005, 08:48 AM

I got the wheels for £600 but they were original AMG alloys and in perfect condition. Apparantly the guy at the garage said because these wheels are designed for theAMG mercedes and are heavy they put more pressure on the car causing the tracking to go out, as I said I've seen loads of people with these alloys on and know there must be a way to rectify it!

Old 03-09-2005, 01:16 PM

I know, I've seen a lot of people having AMG wheels without any apoblems! And again, maybe your rims are bended or I know that once the tire gets to get bold on one side, it will continue to do that ! So my suggestion is to get new tires and before putting them on the rim check the rim to see if it's straight. And tell the guy at the garage to read some more books about the cars... wheels don't give pressure on the car, it's the car gives pressure on wheels. Good luck.

Old 04-24-2005, 06:49 PM

hi, i have a similar problem as zafh does. the difference is that i also lowered by car with H&R springs. the tires wear out on the inside and they also ware out like a "gator back". I had the dealership installed to kit but that didn't seem to help much. just recently i had my shocks replaced with bilstein at all 4 corners. i can't get the alignment right even with the kit. a shop told me that they could fix it by fabricate some thing to be able to align it correctly. i am not sure if this is the solution. Does anybody have any problem with 18in wheels and lowered suspension?

thanks

Old 07-14-2005, 02:51 PM

Hi!
I'm newbie on this forum... I reply just because I am very sure about what I'm goin to tell.
- don't mind my english, it's not my mother tongue-
OK, I own "-Mercedes-Benz and AMG- full range of light alloy wheels catalogue".
There are pictures and explanations of every of the wheels...
So, you cannot fit every wheel on every model, especially not 15" and 18", and also all others.
Sice your problem is 18", I'll retype everything that's written under the pictures of 18" wheels:
"wheel arch-widening kit required; modification of bodywork necessary"
Well, I think that means that without serious money spending for original MB parts, nobody can make it roll on 18" without improper tire wear!!!!!!!
PS
I'm driving W210 E240 (V6 engine, 6 gear stick shift...), europe model, and I wanned to put as large wheels as possible, so I acquired this catalogue from a dealership... And I bought original MB 17", they look great and, ofcourse, fit perfectly!

Old 07-16-2005, 10:33 AM

Hi,
This is an old topic already but I may add:

I upgraded to 17"s from my stock 15"s. I noticed that the tire is wearing out on the inside of the rear wheels.

If I look on the rear from afar, I noticed that the camber is a bit off and the tire is leaning inwards causing improper tire wear.

My stock 15"s tire wear is very flat and even not unlike this 17"s

I assume that the wheel is a bit too big for the car?? I put in 215-50-17 from the stock 205-65-15

Camber correction cannot be made on the stock rear suspension??

What will I do?? just go back to 15"s???

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-24-2005, 01:59 AM

Mercedes makes a (REPAIR) kit for the 4 FRONT camber bolts ..It allows one to adjust the camber..with a lowered car...or one that has been hit
I Have done several cars with the repair bolts and they do work!....I Installled a set on my Lowered W210 wagon. with 245/285s..and its in spec!