Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Spill on Consul - Trans Stuck in 1st

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 08:54 AM
Default Water Spill on Consul - Trans Stuck in 1st

Preface: I have searched forum for solution with no luck.

Problem: Spilled a cup of soda all over the center consul 10days ago.

Traction control/ABS/Gauges/Multible Defect Alerts and Failures alongwith "take it shop service warning" etc....

Limped home in 1st gear having first to overide the Park lockup to get it into gear. Upon arriving home I turn the heat to max and let run for 6hrs in driveway to dry out. Living in wet/cold Oregon I am not sure that get's it done but I headed out of town that night and have to leave is sit.

Go out of town for a week and return to find all the error/service messages are no longer an issue (I guess the soda dried out) but, Trannystill stuck in 1st and will not shift from drive back passed nuetral unless I turn off the engine. It does shift into all gears after re-start but will not shift past nuetral into reverse or park unless engine is shut off.

I reset the factory defaults on TCU/ECU by turning key to on and stepping on trottle for 15secs, etc.... still stuck in 1st.

I am assuming the Trans Electric shift/control unit is still wet or is partially fried so my questions is....can I disasemble and clean will electic/contact spray or is this a part replacement issue? As well, if replacement is required, what is the likelypart,and estimated cost? Finally is the remove and replace a DIY or, will I need the services of a qualified tech.

Thanks for help

PS...Tranny got stuck in first about three weeks ago but resolved after re-start.

AND only the Germans would install components near cup hold that are damaged by moisture and/or spills. It almost as if theydestain from having to install cup holder by installing such a small a fragile unit to begin with and, as if say "we teach those glutenous yanks" by causingus great expense and hardshipevery time they spill more than 3-4drops of liquid in the vacinity.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Banned
Default RE: Water Spill on Consul - Trans Stuck in 1st

See reply in mbworld.org w210 section
ohlord

Old 02-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Default RE: Water Spill on Consul - Trans Stuck in 1st

You may be bang on the button with your closing statement.

Multiple defect warnings likely due to water across the CAN.

Gear change issues systematic of a Trans. module that has got wet. Sugar in the drink remains unless it was straight water.

Looks like a new module is on the agenda.

I'm sure Ohlord will have pointed you in the appropriate direction.

Stuart