Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vehicle diagnostic software

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 08:57 AM
Default Vehicle diagnostic software

<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face=Arial size=3>Will someone please explain what diagnostic software is incorporated in the 124 Series?</FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=3><FONT face=Arial><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face=Arial size=3>My current understanding is as follows: -</FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=3><FONT face=Arial><o></o></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face=Arial size=3>A.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>The 124 Series diagnostic software is based on an obsolete program called Herman.</FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT size=3><FONT face=Arial><o></o></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face=Arial size=3>B.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>The 210 Series (introduced in the U.K. in 1996) diagnostic software is based on Star Diagnostics which is currently employed by Mercedes-Benz dealers.</FONT></P>
<P class=Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face=Arial size=3>C.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </SPAN>Star Diagnostics does not have any ‘reverse engineering’ capability, i.e. it was never designed to communicate with the 124 Series, rendering data transfer impossible.</FONT></P>

Old 01-23-2004, 08:44 PM

What year do you have and I might be able to explain to you what's available?

Old 01-24-2004, 08:45 AM

<FONT size=3>It's a 1995 E200-124 Auto (U.K. spec).

</FONT>

Old 01-24-2004, 12:42 PM

Although I'm not familiar with the differences, if any, between the U.K. and U.S. cars yours should still be OBD 1. Near the battery you will see a little black diagnostic port attached to the engine firewall on the battery side. It has a cover that snaps off with a red LED light and a push button. If you have this setup let me know and I'll further explain the diagnostic abilities you have.

Old 01-24-2004, 04:39 PM

<DIV><FONT size=1>I'll have to look for this port. Meanwhile, does the following help?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Working on the principle that U.K. and U.S. cars have diametrical layouts, I found a16-pin box on the left side (assume you're standing in front of
the car) of the engine-bay, located behind the firewall and to the front of
the brake fluid reservoir. The sockets are very clearly marked in white (1
to 16).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>FYI the battery is on the right side of the engine-bay, behind the firewall.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=1>Finally, I should explain that I am no technician, but I'm a quick learner!</FONT></DIV>

Old 01-24-2004, 06:25 PM

ok, that's the diagnostic port. Is there a red LED on it and a small push button?

Old 01-25-2004, 07:44 AM

<DIV>No, I didn't see anything inside the 16-pin box that matched your description.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>BTW I have received the offer of a code retrieval and clear process, along with a LED DIY tool construction/schematic. I haven't received this information at the time of writing, so I can't comment any further on what is involved.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>FYI this assistance came via the newsgroup alt.auto.mercedes which I was using before I discovered this forum.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV align=right>Message posted at 1040 GMT

</DIV>

Old 01-25-2004, 11:38 AM

I've got one of the data retrieval tools your talking about. I'll send you a picture of itand a schematic, they're real easy to make.

Old 01-25-2004, 11:40 AM

I guess you need to let me know what your e-mail is so I can send it to you because it's not listed under your name.

Old 01-27-2004, 06:37 AM

<DIV>I received the following advice from a diagnostic tool manufacturer.</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>It sounds like you do have a wiring problem that is why the system cannot be scanned. You need to check power and grounds to the SRS control unit and check the diagnostic line to the control unit.
</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Is it possible toquantify how much work isinvolved in terms of labour hours?</DIV>

Quick Reply: Vehicle diagnostic software