Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying a pre-owned E-Class

Old 10-21-2006, 03:56 PM
Default Thinking of buying a pre-owned E-Class

Well, it's mid-life crisis time (actually, it's overdue), and since I have always wanted to own a Benz, now may be the time. I'm looking at 2001-2002 E320/E430s, usually with between 25K and 40K miles on them. These fit well within my budget (a new one is definitely out of the question--I am also into computers, photography, and remodeling my house). I live in Sacramento, CA...a nice, sprawling urban area of 2million, with easy access to mountains, the coast, and, of course, the valley. The E-Class is a good fit. I see a lot of them on the road here.

I guess my question is, after reading Consumer Reports, JD Power, Edmunds, etc. am I looking at cars, or projects? I have absolutely no problem with routine maintenance, and the like. I don't want this message to come off negatively--I am actually quit excited about buying one of these beasts, and living with it for many, many miles (my computer jones handles my fetish for newness). Is this reasonable? I really would rather spend the money on an E Class rather than, say, a new Honda. They just don't move me.

I'm looking for "over coffee, for your own good, here's my opinion" input from people that know.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers,
Mark Taber

Old 10-22-2006, 02:25 PM
Default RE: Thinking of buying a pre-owned E-Class

i have an older e320 (94 model year), by maintaining it well, it has given me 150k miles Thank God. they are good cars (the e-class) quite comfortable and the occasional power when you need it. If you dont mind the extra gas prices i would go for the e430, but if you do..then e320 all the way. The only projects that you will encounter is if you get a lemon. I personally think after 95 or so, mb just dropped off the map in reliablitly and now recently its on the rise again. hopefully you will get a good one. Good luck

j-mang

Old 10-22-2006, 03:37 PM

I personally think after 95 or so, mb just dropped off the map in reliability
Quite right.
One of the reason is that Mercedes had to deal with new/cheaper competition (eg. Lexus) and and dropped quality and engineering.
Cars were then developed and built according to bean-counters accountants instead of engineers.
The W124 (up to 1995) were built like tanks, over-engineered , no compromised were made.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:18 PM
JCT

I do have an 03 E320 4 sale here is the link in case your interested.In case you live where it snows I also have a set of snow tires to accompany the vehicle.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...ag=1&cardist=0

If this link doesnt work I can also email you the link. jvc19762003@yahoo.com