Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sleepwalker or anyone else, FSS indicator won't reset and clock isn't working.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: sleepwalker or anyone else, FSS indicator won't reset and clock isn't working.

pull out the instrument cluster and do basic check first before making the $800 decission.

check the backlight illumination

Old 12-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Default RE: sleepwalker or anyone else, FSS indicator won't reset and clock isn't working.

Thanks for your response.

I got the instrument cluster out and disconnected. There are two connectors. Which wire(s) on which connector should I check for available voltage?

Obviously if the clock and gear display aren't getting source voltage, the problem would be in the circuit. But if available voltage is getting there, the problem is in the panel.

Old 12-30-2005, 02:20 AM

The clock backlight is illuminating. Does this mean the only problem could be the lcd, or could there still be a fault in the circuit?

Old 12-30-2005, 02:34 AM

I just thought of something. Since both the clock and gear display aren't working, I'm going to put my money on the lcd being faulty. But that doesn't mean there couldn't be a problem in the clock and gear display circuits. What would you do next Sleepwalker?

I'm guessing that if the lcd is faulty, I'll have to replace the whole cluster unless I find one used and use it for parts right?

Old 12-30-2005, 02:52 AM
Super Moderator

yes, it can be the lcd.
oscillator crystal, frequency scaler with control electronics or lcd for electronic clock... but why is the gear indicator is faulty too? it can be just more than the lcd.

since it is integrated in instrument cluster, the only way now is to replace the assembly.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:35 AM

Sleepwalker,
Can we rule out the possibility of there being a fault in the clock and gear display circuit leading to the cluster?

Old 12-30-2005, 04:13 AM
Super Moderator

cannot because everything else works fine.

it's not ground or power signal.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:25 AM

I'm not sure I understand. Obviously it's not the power source. But how do we know the ground is not the problem? Does the clock and or the gear display share a ground with something that is functioning? Are you ruling out an open or a short in the circuit before the cluster? Thanks again for responding.

Can I please see the EWD?

Old 12-30-2005, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

i need VIN for diagram.

clock is not included on it because it is integrated.

Old 12-30-2005, 05:58 AM

Are there any other checks I can do before I shell out the dough for a new cluster?

On my brother's car cluster, his speedometer and tachometer are both not functioning. What could be at fault in this situation besides a bad cluster?

Quick Reply: sleepwalker or anyone else, FSS indicator won't reset and clock isn't working.