Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sleepwalker or anyone else, FSS indicator won't reset and clock isn't working.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 04:09 AM
Default sleepwalker or anyone else, FSS indicator won't reset and clock isn't working.

2000 E320

Problem #1
FSS indicator won't reset. When I press and hold the R button for 2 seconds while the FSS indicator is displayed, nothing happens.

Problem #2
Clock isn't displaying anything. When I go in the time section to change it, nothing is seen except "minutes" and "hours", no numbers. Nothing happens when I press + or - while in the time section. The + and - buttons do work when changing from mph and K.

Thank you

Old 12-26-2005, 03:49 PM
Default RE: sleepwalker or anyone else, FSS indicator won't reset and clock isn't working.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-26-2005, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: sleepwalker or anyone else, FSS indicator won't reset and clock isn't working.

it seems that the problem is on your instrument cluster.

have you tried disconnecting/reconnecting the battery?

Old 12-27-2005, 05:47 AM

I'll try that and update. Thank you.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:44 PM

After removing the negative cable and installing it, the clock is still not functioning as described. Nothing is displayed on the clock and no numerical figures are displayed in the menu when attempting to adjust the time. What do you think Sleepwalker, could the problem be the instrument cluster and or the clock circuit? Thank you

Old 12-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

you got two different problems i think.

first the clock: it won't be visible if the backlight bulb is busted. very much the same to the mullti-function display and outside temperature display.

about the FSS, what procedure you do when trying to reset it? have you tried the same way and it works before?

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/08C454F7E17E48508E59B3CC62DD8778.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-28-2005, 02:24 AM

Sleepwalker,

"A1p12" & "A1p6" are both not operating. I'm guessing "A1p12" is the gear you're in. Is that correct? "A1e16" never came on when I turned the key to position two. What is this light for?

Regarding the FSS, I got the service light to reset. The owners manual said to turn the key to position one, but it only worked in position two.

Thank you

Old 12-29-2005, 12:07 AM

Do you think there is an open in the clock circuit? What are the things you would check?

I took a auto electrical course so I could diagnose the circuit but I don't have an EWD for this vehicle but I do have the tools.

Thank you

Old 12-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

"A1p12" & "A1p6" are both not operating. I'm guessing "A1p12" is the gear you're in. Is that correct?
then it must be the backlight which is faulty. year, gear display.

I took a auto electrical course so I could diagnose the circuit but I don't have an EWD for this vehicle but I do have the tools.
it's an lcd with two polarization filters.

"A1e16" never came on when I turned the key to position two. What is this light for?
preheating for diesel engines.

Old 12-29-2005, 12:55 AM

Sleepwalker,
LCD's were not covered in the course, does the entire instrument panel have to be replaced?

Is there a section in the repair manual that shows step by step how to remove the panel?

Thank you

Quick Reply: sleepwalker or anyone else, FSS indicator won't reset and clock isn't working.