Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaking Engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:14 PM
Default Shaking Engine

Hello everyone i have a E220 CDI W210 and the car shakes at idle alot!!! i have pulled oout the injectors and jus looked at them i suppose but still do not have an idea of why it is shaking so much. Can anyone tell measwell, what rpm this size and type of engine is supposed to idle at? Is their a way of setting theidling rpm of the engineUr Help will be well appreciated.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:23 AM
Default RE: Shaking Engine

Hi I may have the answer, something i rectified last two weeks on my 1998 E300TD.
Part of the belt tensioner arrangement at the front of the engine has what i can only describe as a small shock absorber. I replaced this (£40) and the juddering at idle was immediately rectified. However, 50 miles down the road and it started doing it again. Basically there is a part that this shock absorber bolts onto and I believe that if you replace this also then your problems will be cured.

One other thought is engine mounts (i dont know your exact symptoms) and here is a littel check for you.

With the car in drive and your foot firmly on the foot brake, apply a little throttle. Does the noise get worse? Now put the car in reverse (again, foot on foot brake) and repeat the procedure. If it makes the noise one way and not the other then chances are you have a cracked engine mount. Anyway, hope thats of some assistance to you. By the way ... the belt tensioner thing i mentioned is apparantly a very common problem, well worth looking into.
John

Old 03-11-2007, 02:05 PM

Cheers mate i will look into that problem when the weekend comes. However when i took the injectors out and cleaned them and put them bak in again the problem seemed to have stopped the engine shaking. it could be an intermittent fault who knows. But i will be trying to test it with the car in drive and my foot on the brake. i am not with the car at the moment but the idle is still not staying still altho the shaking has stopped i dont think its a the engine mount but i think theyve had a beating all this excessive shaking!!!! thank youy ill keep posted

Old 03-26-2007, 09:20 PM

have your engine mount check.