Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting Maintenance Reminder - 2004 E500 4Matic

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Default Resetting Maintenance Reminder - 2004 E500 4Matic

My local (Lewbar Mercedes/W. Springfield, MA) closed and I really didn't want to drive to Hartford or Worcester for service. We have a local high-end independent (J.E. Robisonservice.com) who is well known, and services everything from Rolls to Ferrari. I recently brought my wife's E500 in for a service and the mechanic said he was having trouble resetting the maintenance reminder with his OBD tools and I was running late for another appointment. He said he'd look it up and see give me a call. I really don't need to go back there unless its absolutely necessary.

So now the reminder is going off, reminding me that I am 1037 miles past the recommended service, and also, it's telling me that brake service is needed even though the brakes have been checked and are fine.

Anyway... I wanted to use the backdoor reset sequence, and I tried the following:

1. Turn the key to the first position.
2. Press the odometer reset button three (3) times quickly.
3. Should see a menu (but I didn't)
4. Should be able to reset the reminder to the next chronological/miles service (never got there either).

So... can someone give me the correct sequence and what I need to do in the menu to reset it completely? Thanks in advance for the help.

Doc

Old 01-27-2010, 08:16 PM

First of all make sure you are on the odometer screen when you start the reset. Second what does the brake message say? Your veh has SBC (brake by wire) If you have a problem you need to have it checked out! It could be as simple as a stop light switch or as bad as the service life of the SBC unit is exceded. The good news is thet the hydroulic unit is under warranty for an extended period of time.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:40 AM

So then the correct sequence is:

1. Turn the key to the first position.
2. Make sure the odometer display is showing.
3. Press the odometer reset button three (3) times quickly.
4. Should see a menu (but I didn't) and if I do, how do I select from it (+/- or Page)?
5. Should be able to reset the reminder to the next chronological/miles service (never got there either and if I do, how do I reset... use the +/- or Page)?

The brake (warning) light wasn't on before I drove in the shop and had my service. It went on after I drove about 1 mile, got onto the highway and shifted from the you have exceeded the service interval warning that came up when I started the car. The brakes are fine.