Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing rear springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 01:45 AM
Default Replacing rear springs

Hi, I need to replace the rear springs on my 98 E280/210 saloon and i was thinking about doing the job myself. I was wondering if there is anything i need to know before i do this. If any of you have done this job to your merc, how difficult was it. Thanks Paulie.

Old 01-14-2007, 02:07 AM
Default RE: Replacing rear springs

Piece of cake as long as you have a spring compressor..... Why are you replacing only the rear springs?

Old 01-14-2007, 02:13 AM

hi mbz, thanks for the reply. ive just changed the front springs and wishbones and the car is sitting up alot higher on the front so i was told to replace the rear springs to balance the car. if you compress the spring does that mean you dont have to touch anything else?

Old 01-14-2007, 03:16 PM

You can also buy different thickness spring pads to fine tune the hieght.....Now you have me second guessing myself. I think if you compress the spring far enough it will just pull right out....If there isnt enough room then you have to remove one of the lower control arm bolts and swing the control arm out of the way to drop out the spring.....Damn i cant rememeber now... Its been awhile since i changed rear springs..

Old 02-23-2007, 01:41 AM
Default RE: Instrument Cluster

hi i was just wondering if you new anything about repairing the Instrument Cluster on a 01 320cdi. i.e the loss of some of the pixel or digits on the clock and the outside temp. Is it possible to repair yourself????

Old 02-24-2007, 02:15 PM

ORIGINAL: MBZTech

You can also buy different thickness spring pads to fine tune the hieght.....Now you have me second guessing myself. I think if you compress the spring far enough it will just pull right out....If there isnt enough room then you have to remove one of the lower control arm bolts and swing the control arm out of the way to drop out the spring.....Damn i cant rememeber now... Its been awhile since i changed rear springs..
exactly as you've described. dropping the LCA is the easy part. raising it while keeping
an eye/hand on the spring, the LCA bolt holes, and manipulating everything requires care.
very simple - just don't rush. the lower control arm technique adds another 30-60 mins
depending on type of spring you're installing, your tools and your technique. i found the
Klann type (pancake) spring compressor to be key vs the more traditional hook type
compressor.

use the Force...not force, and you'll be just fine.