Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear view Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 02:31 AM
Default Rear view Mirror

Hi there, I've got a 97 e420, my rearview mirror is loose as hell! I was wondering does anyone know the trick on how to remove it? And how to tighten it, I vibrates around im sure its just an adjustment of somekind. I cant seem to figure it out. Thanks

Old 03-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Default RE: Rear view Mirror

OK, got the rear view mirror off with some force and wrestling , now that i got it off....does anyone know how the actual mirror comes apart. I tried and dont want to break it.....hopefully someone has had some experience with this since it seems to be a popular failure.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Default RE: Rear view Mirror

Did you ever get this handled? I had the same problem with my 97 E-420. I fixed it this weekend!! Small victories are all I seem to get. Anyway, the mirror is assembled with snap-together tabs on the inside. If you squeeze down on the back half, especially from the top, not hard enough to break, just to get a thin flat object (like a flat-blade screwdriver) and then gently pry, it should come apart without breaking anything.
THEN you have to figure out why it is loose. I'll tell you.
There are four plastic tabs, two upper and two lower, that hold two metal tensioner into the mirror case and hold the mirror itself snug against the front half and applies pressure to the swiveling mount. ONce the plastic tabs are broken they can't be fixed. Either buy a new outer shell from a junkyard or do what I did.
I used epoxy to affix the mirror to the swivel mount. The one I used is called Gorilla Glue and I got it at Home Depot. Construction glue (liquid nails) also would work. Don't try super glue; it won't adhere to both the plastic and metal well enough to take the pressure of adjusting the mirror.
Wait for it to cure (gorilla glue about 4-3 hours) and assemble the shell around the mirror. Presto!
Hope this helps you (or someone else suffering from wobbly-mirror syndrome).
Best regards
FB