Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear interior light problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 10:41 PM
Default rear interior light problem

hi im new to the forum, im having problems with the rear interior light, not the one which is beside the sunroof switch, but the one which is above the rear seat (whats that light called). anyways, the problem is that when i turn the switch on the light does not light up. (however, the switch itself has its light on) when i open the driver's door the rear interior light lights up. ive changed the bulb, but when i turn the switch to the on position it still does not light, only does when i open the door, is it a faulty switch even though it itself has its light on. sorry for the confusion. tony

Old 10-23-2007, 01:03 AM
Default RE: rear interior light problem

Hi,
Most likely switch contacts (crude) within the "dome" light aren't making contact. A little "adjustment" of the contacts may correct this.

Alternatively the earth return (not thru the doors) is faulty due to loose lap unit securing screws, lack of paint clearance or possible similar problems if there is a remote continuous earth for the dome light ON circuit.

Fuse, Bulb and Power are all OK since works on doors.
Earth thru doors must also be OK.
Earth thru lamp body / switch / remote earth anchor point must therefore be the problem.

Next step.
Get a multimeter to confirm switch contacts do infact meet and also that continuous earth feed has integrity.

Difficult to make a guess since you don't state whether this lamp USED to work.

If it did I would go for the switch contacts (Got hot and no longer make contact).
If never then I'd go for paint on the dome light earth anchor point (whereever it is)

Stuart.