Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Default Overheating problem

Hi,

I have Mercedes E 220 D - 95 HP model 11/1997.

I have the following problem :

After driving 1-2 hours non-stop with the car the automatic gearbox somehow doesn't want to change to higher gear. I'm having only secound gear and i when pressing the gas the engine is forcing and it's very hard to increase the speed above 80-90 km/h. The engine is increasing the turnover up to 4000-5000 and forcing withtout being able to change to higher gear. After stopping the car and removing the key and then starting the car again this problem disappears. Sometimes even if i stop the car and remove the keys and start the car again the problem does not disappear, the car needs to be stopped 1-2 hours and then started again and it works again ok. After a month doing this the car instantly has entered in emergency mode. It is possible to drive the car only with 30-40 km /h, the gearbox cannot change gears and i have only one first gear which doesn't allow me to increase the speed more than 40 km/h and when i press the gas the engine is forcing... and nothing happens. The only way to get out of this situation is connecting to the mercedes board computer. After making a connection to a mercedes board computer it was indicating all kinds of errors including gearbox error. After cleaning up all the errors in the board computer the car was able to run normally for almost a month and then the same problem again. The system allowed me to clean the errors in the board computer somehow and everythink has back to normal.

This happens when the outside temperature is high. The car does not have an air condition system built in. I have changed the vane which stays in front the engine and works as engine cooler. The vane is brand new and i feel it working now. I have stopped the car and saw the vane working. It is sending air to the engine.

What could be the reason for that issue ? Could it be that my thermostat doesn't work and does not detect high temperature of the engine and therefore does not start the vane to start cooling or this is gearbox or board computer problem ?

Old 05-24-2007, 01:32 AM
Default RE: Overheating problem

Engine water temp sender defective? Does gauge read correct? If so likely it is OK.

Thermostat faulty. Quite possible. Remove and check/replace.

Not sure whether the cooling fan on your model is mechanical (engine driven) or electric. Need to check drive and temp sensor mechanism.

Looks like you problem has been overheating and the car has been trying to tell you to get it fixed by restricting performanceetc,

Stuart

Old 05-24-2007, 02:35 AM

The cooling fan of the engine / the vane / is engine driven. It is temperature sensitive and when the temperature increases the cooling fan is starting. It is not mechanical. It could be that water / antifrreez pump that sends water to the engine, I assume that too. I will doublecheck this.

Could it be the board computer to make some problems ? Could it be the gearbox problem ?

Old 05-26-2007, 12:36 AM

Not sure but possible that high gearbox temp will reduce/restrict performance and switch engine cooling fan ON (since it is electric).

Of course it could be a fault in the gearbox temp sensor.

It could be the controlling computer but unlikely.

Stuart