Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK Oil Guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Default RE: OK Oil Guys

I actually found that online. It made sense to use that as an answer.

Old 10-19-2008, 08:23 PM

I actually found that online. It made sense to use that as an answer.

I had to go into a dusty book of notes for that topic that I took as a journeyman mechanic way back in the last century.;-)

Doesn't matter where it comes from, as long as it's accurate. Beware of Wikipedia though, because some lazy, hapless college students are deliberately trying to surreptitiously corrupt articles in there. Sometimes I think that's the true modern day purpose of the Net-to disseminate false/inaccurate information. There was even a link I found on how to corrupt Wikipedia articles for "fun".

Kevin

Old 10-20-2008, 12:07 AM

Ohlord I run a blend of synthetics in my 87 300D. In the late 80's I quite buying Mobil 1 by the drum due to it didn't have the proper shear abilities for big diesels. I haven't checked to see if they changed Mobile 1. As to Real1shepherdAgip blends oils and I use one of there's that exceeds Rottella oil. They have their own lab were they can test oils and see what additives are in them. With their oil ran 3k changed filter three times adding a Qt. each time and at 12k the oil was tested and it still surpassed the manufactors spec's for motor oil. Not just my vehical they did that with several of there trucks. As I stated use a quality oil not generic, cheaper oil usally has less additives. They do have a tree by there lab does that make it a shadetree myth? Amsoil {others do too}has a extra filtering system that claim you never need to change your oil just filters and add oil as needed. Under normal conditions most oils will do if changed every 3k. Dirt from combustion is the biggest enemy to oil, but synthetics are almost unbeatable everywhere else.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:23 PM

I'm not calling you a 'liar', lwbrewer, but I'd have to work myself with a lab on that one. And it would be your 'reconditioned oil' against new oil, head to head in all categories. I still think it's bad advice and a resulting witch's brew.

What you have to remember is that labs work closely with truck fleets and they're ( the big fleet companies), always looking for ways to cut corners on costs. That's not what we're talking about here, as we're talking about maximum longevity from passenger MB cars, not commercial fleet trucks.

I don't know if Rottella oil has changed since the 90's but it did very poorly in independent, fleet truck oil tests back then. There was a company called Champion Oil that dusted all other fleet oils at the time, in every category. I ran all my diesel farm equipment and trucks on Champion, not the 'great' Rottella. I could have run anything, did the research, found Chanpion for diesel engines best of the bunch.

When I'm talking about changing Amsoil every 10K with a filter change before at 5K....this is cheap insurance against long term engine failure. I have a hard time arguing this against somebody looking for $2/qt dino oil (or not fully synthetic oil) and complaining about cost.

Kevin

Old 10-20-2008, 09:52 PM

It diffently won't hurt your motor changing oil often. Main point I wanted to express is if going for longer change intervals the filter still should be changed, as dirt is oils biggest problem. I do the same as you on road vehicals 5K change filter Even 10k change both. This makes it easy for me to know when and want needs done. Agips lab is for blending there own oils, and also take any custumersoil analyz it so they can reproduce it or add what there's is lacking. You can get basiclly any oil make up you want as long as you take 10,000 gallons or more. Not practical for us.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:04 PM

Exactly, that was my point....i.e., what you were talking about is not practical for the masses. I'm glad we're in agreement then; 5K for the filter and then 10K for both. You're absolutely correct in that it's very easy to remember.

And it doesn't hurt (in the life of a passenger engine) to send the oil off every yr to a lab, to see what sort of wear particulates/chemicals they find, therefore predicting the status of your engine.

Kevin

Old 10-22-2008, 07:16 PM

Those labs can tell a lot if done correctly. My first experience was with a big wakashaw compressor. They sent back adj your valves, and sure enough they needed adj. Then one guy made them to tight and showed cam and valve rodwear. It sure made sheduled mait easy with oil testing