Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK Here is a Question for You

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:13 PM
Default OK Here is a Question for You

Here is one other question about my 1997 E300D.

I noticed when driving my car that the last gear before I stop at traffic lights and other low speed stops that the transmission has a "bump"...I also switched from W to S that going at low speeds the first gear would hang and rev way up before snatching and shifting...not a good thing...I switched it back and haven't tried that again...

I have talked to others with the model / make / same car...more miles that than I have.... the same issue. My mechanic says this is a problem with a bunch of the E300's of this time frame...not sure but I would like to verify this.

Here is what I did...my car has 72K on the odometer. From what I hear from the "experts" MB recommends a transmission fluid change every 5 years or 100K. Since this fluid is synthetic I took my car to the dealer and they changed the fluid. Better safe than sorry as I want some big miles / long life from this car.....

They / the MB dealer also picked up a code that said a switch in the shifter assembly was defective. They replaced it at a "large" cost...yuk.

Well....the problem is still there. I am concerned about this. One note the problem seems to improve after the car warms up on the highway. It is worst when the engine/drivetrain is cold.

Any ideas? Opinions? Is this just a thing I just need to deal with and not worry about a really big $ repair looming on the horizon?

Thanks for your help and comments!

Old 05-25-2005, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: OK Here is a Question for You

sounds like brake band 1