Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie considering an e320

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Default Newbie considering an e320

Hello

I am looking into getting into a 97 E320, not too familar with mercedes benz, always been into bmws.I came across a black on black E320 with 123000km roughly 76k miles. I have only seen pictures, and it seems to be clean and straight. I was wondering what I should be looking for when I check this E320, any common problems, how reliable are these cars? Are they friendly to DIYers.

Thanks

Old 02-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Banned
Default RE: Newbie considering an e320

where are you located?
how much do they want?Get it inspected.
ohlord

Old 02-19-2008, 10:27 PM

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, they are asking 8900 for it, german cars not as common in this city, so the price may seem a bit high but thats the going rate here

Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 AM

ORIGINAL: Rami

but thats the going rate here
The value of the car is what you are willing to pay and what the owner is willing to accept. Almost everyone sets an 'asking' price higher than they expect to get. After examining the car ask if the price is negotiable. If the seller says no walk away. Personally, I think the price is a little high.

See this post: https://mercedesforum.com/m_95189/tm.htm

Old 02-20-2008, 10:44 AM
Banned

From what I have seen of the prices up north ,that looks to be a good price.If the car is inspected and passes muster.You would be happier with the later year v6 models and pay more but you need to decide on your own budget.
ohlord

Old 02-20-2008, 12:33 PM

Thanks for the imput so far, of course the asking price isnt always the selling price, also I wanted to ask about the pros and cons of a I6 VS V6 through the run of the w210? Personally I am more of a fan of the straight six because of my time with bmws. Also how robust is that five speed auto?

Old 02-20-2008, 03:43 PM

Make sure AC is working properly. These cars tend to have AC problems after a few years.

AC evaporator may have a leak. Make sure the AC has adequate presure and that it can hold the presure for a few days. If someone charges the system and you go for a test drive and check the AC then it works fine then. After a few hours or a few days presure drops and you have an expensive problem on your hand. You could spen $4,000 (mostly labor) give or take to fix the AC problem. I know first hand, because I had to have the Ac on my E320 repaired.

Cars from very cold climates that do not use AC for extended periods of time during winter tend to have more AC problems. I think it is because the entire AC system needs to work on regular basis and not sit for extended period of times.

Mine is a straight 6. I have had a few maintainance issues with it as any other car, but over all I like it and it has served us well. I gave it to my teenage daughter two years ago and she likes it too. It is a very safe specially for an unexperiencedloved one to drive.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:34 PM

Both engines are good. The V6 gives more initial grunt while the I6 seems to peak and go nuts at high rpms. I love both setups but am partial to the V6 after driving two E class Benzes with both engines. I felt like the I6 was more durable but that the V6 was more responsive. The choice is yours. Check out the suspension and A/C and understand that any car from 1997 will have a monthly maintenance bill. As I have mentioned in other posts, I'd rather spend an average of $300 / month on a maint bill than spend $500 / month on a boring japanese car payment. The call is yours. I love my Benz and will undoubtedly buy one again someday.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:06 PM

The V6 was introduced in 1998 models, it´s a better engine than the inline 6s they were using before ... head gasket problems I heard a lot.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:23 PM

Howdy - new poster here. I own a 99 M320, which I love. COnsidering addinga 99 E320 - 78K. PRice seems good and background checks out. I read about the evaporator issues. Is there any way to check this? How long should the system be able to hold pressure reliably in a test? All recalls and service records are up to date on this car. Any advice or watch-outs? It has the 3.2L v6. I see data that rates this thing at 30 mpg highway. Is anyone seeing that? It seems high, although my ML320 can get mid-twenties on the highway. Thanks

Quick Reply: Newbie considering an e320