Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

making HID headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:33 PM
Default making HID headlights?

Hi. I'm new to the forum and have been doing research regarding the headlight updates (depo) and installing a HID retrofit I guess its called. Anyways, I'm going to update my 1997 e320 with some new headlights (depo $220 w/ship) but after this I'm kinda lost regarding HID kits and retrofitting. According to my research Zam and raymond are extremely knowledgable. My question is should I buy a really good HID kit and put it in the depo headlights?, I'm thinking from my research that the light will not look good. Or, should I buy the audi rs6 projectors and install them in the headlight myself? I guess I'm just intimidaded by not knowing which parts I need to buy and if I will be able to put it all together myself. If you guys could help me out which I think you're going to tell me to go with the audi, can you please give me an exact list of parts I need to buy to have everything and to put it all together. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:41 PM
Banned
Default RE: making HID headlights?

7-9 hundred dollars in parts and then a bunch of time and you will be done.
Go to mbworld.org w210 section and look up depo conversion.One member took rays info and did a diy with pictures.
If you just want great light. Polish the plastic lenses per the diy on benzworld.org w210 section and install 4 H7 65watt rally bulbs from www.danielsternlighting.com
that works better throws more light and won't hurt your wallet
ohlord

Old 04-14-2008, 12:41 AM

Hi ohlord. I was a member of that site but I don't know what is wrong with it. Everytime i go to the site it takes about 1 entire minute for each page to load and only on that site so I can't really go through it because it is so messed up, I don't know if you're having that same problem.

Anyways, I'm in this thing to get it done and I'm determined to make this Headlight conversion correctly and not go the cheap route and be mad later. I bought the genuine Depo lights and got them with shipping and everything for $220 so I got that out of the way. I now have to buy the audi rs6 projectors, ballasts, and bulbs. I have checked out hidplanet.com and they have the audiRs6 kit for 549.99 but I don't think I want to buy all that stuff and I want to buy 8000k bulbs so I will probably buy the pieces seperately. Does it matter if I buy the rs6 projectors new or used as long as it is in good shape or should I just buy them new for $249.99 at hidplanet? Second, is there a specific year or anything I'm looking for on the projector before I buy or just make sure it works and is bi-xenon?

Next, the ballasts, do I have to buy the hella gen 3 12v or can I buy another brand and again can I buy these new or used as long as they work correctly? Also, does the hella gen 3 12v ballasts work for the bi-xenon, the low and high beam? Also, are there any incidental small things that I'm missing that I need, I mean anything that is needed I want to get. Lastly, the bulbs I'm sure I can figure out once I get to that point.

So I think i covered all the basis but I'm a neat freak and need to be 100% sure that everything is correct before ordering anything especially when we're talking $700 to $800. Anyways, I'm extremely sorry for asking so many questions but I know you guys are the experts and hope I can get some help, thanks again.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:55 AM
Banned

E55 projectors.
go to benzworld.org w210 section and look up raymond g there and pm him for a pdf file he built for the conversion.if you use mozilla firefox you can get the mbworld site to run much faster.
ohlord
some of the supplies noted
[/align] Depo headlight HID projector retro [/align] [hr] 1. Depo clear lens headlight,
2. Projector, E55, or RS6...
3. D2S bulbs
4. Ballast, Hella, or Denso

From Kragen:
1. Permatex windshield silicone, clear
2. Permatex RTV cilicone, clear

Many trips to Home Depot:
1. #8 lock washers, serrated design
2. Crimp on, female and male connector
3. Tap splices
4. Electrical isolate tape
5. Heat shrinking tube
6. Lighter
7. Spacer, screw, lock washer for Denso ballast installed under headlight

Old 04-14-2008, 02:28 AM

yikes, thanks for all the help.

So I need 4 D2S bulbs 2 for the low beam and 2 for the high beam correct and they can be any brand?
Also, do i need any wiring harness or ballast housing which I read on the HIDplanet site? Thanks.

i'm going to pm raymon