Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

left front end noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:17 PM
Default left front end noise

I was getting off the highway today and heard a loud noise coming from the left front end which sounded like the spring shifting around. I also heard something leave the car!! and i think I ran it over! She still drives straight and turns well, but I'm now hearing some slight rattling when going over bumps. When I got home I pushed down on the left front fender and heard plenty of noise....the right front is fine. I'm guessing bushings? Anyone have any advice for me?

Old 01-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Default RE: left front end noise

maybe a wheel well liner?......or a coil spring mount/ coil spring perch broken?

Old 01-22-2008, 07:30 PM

Check and make very sure the coil spring isn't broken near the control arm...known issue on older 210's

Old 01-22-2008, 07:44 PM

that could be it...the left side is about 1/2 inch lower than the right...could that be another symptom??

Old 01-22-2008, 08:15 PM

Could be. The spring will usually first break about 1/2 from the end and will normally go un noticed until the vehicle is examined by an experienced Benz tech. After some time, if the first break is never found, the spring will break again about 1/2 coil from the end. At that point you may notice a drop in ride height. As chassis221 suggested,springperch that has brokenor torn away from the frame is a very good possibility as well. Either case, the spring could bow outward and rum against the shock absorber during suspension movement.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Banned

Spring perch failed,inspect it don't drive it till ruled out.The welds were defective and prone to rust under the masic coating used to cover them.If they failed check with the dealer some owners if they complain nicely have had good responce from the dealer on partial help with the repair bill,some have managed to get it all taken care of gratis.
ohlord

Old 01-23-2008, 12:02 AM

Just checked....and yes, the spring perch is broken....oh my GOD!!!!!! what the hell??? does MB have a recall on this issue? I can't believe this! I will chack with the MB dealer, but I bought my e320 used at a Chevy dealer a few months back. I wonder if I should bring it back to them and ask for may money back. It's a real shame because I was just saying how much I love this car!

Old 01-23-2008, 10:21 AM
Banned

It is a known issue.Let them know that it made you lose control and you were very scared.Be calm,ask questions,don't demand but be firm in your comments.Don't try to put them on the defence,ask for whatever help can they offer you.
Good luck
check back
ohlord

Old 01-23-2008, 08:30 PM

I called MBUSA today and spoke with a customer service guy. I was very nice and explained that I lost control on an off ramp and that I had done some research and found that it was a known problem. He expalined that it was probably not going to be covered since that car was 10 years old and had high mileage. I went further and nicley gave him my thoughts on how a spring perch shouldnt break even on a car that is 20 years old...especially a mercedes. He is going to check with his legal and management team and get back to me tomorrow. I'm not sure what to expect, but i will be very surprised if they pay anything. On the plus side, he did say that they accept the problem as known issue that is not a recall. I guess that would cost too much $$. Meanwhile I spoke to a local certified MB body shop and the giy laughed at me and said they were fixing these like crazy right now. It would cost $1100 per side. That sucks!

Old 01-25-2008, 10:10 PM

This is not good! I recently bought a 2003 E320 from a local dealer - the car drives very smooth, quiet, and no electrical problems. The black paint looks good for the years and it has 80K miles. There is a "pop" sound on both front sides, I think, whenever I hit something like a speed-bump in parking lots, or some small something - even at crawling speeds. Other times, if I take a dip at the right angle, I hear nothing at all. It seems like a small vertical deflection will cause the popping sound - otherwise, it handles fine.

The dealer says they replaced the something major (I forget) on the front end, but it did not solve the issue. They think it is CV joint but I don't think so - and I'm no expert on those things.

I got an extended warranty for 15K miles called the Silver Powertrain. They say that if I take it to a local MB Dealer that they should fix it under this warranty.

Do I have the same broken spring perch (whatever that is) problem? Do you think the warranty would cover it under the Drive Axle section?

Quick Reply: left front end noise