Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key won't turn at all!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Default Key won't turn at all!

I have a 1996 E320 and the key won't turn. We have tried turning the wheel and jiggling the transmission linkage. We noticed that the Linkage has appeared to be a little loose as of late but the key is also pretty old.

Several Options available:
Have key drilled out
Can't find new spare key but could order new spare and try it
Have car towed but with car and park and front wheels turned it might not bee too fun

Any suggestions??

thanks in advance for your help.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:09 AM
Default RE: Key won't turn at all!

Are you saying the key is stuck in the ignition....or it just won't turn? If it won't turn, a new key is in order just like with any other auto. It would help if you have one of the factory spares, but not the valet key. I have one that was never used and is supposed to be the one to make spares from (no thumb grip, just metal). The ex said it cost about $100 to have a MB key made-I have no idea. Glad I have the three-one is a valet.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 PM

OK some news. i ordered the new tumbler and key from mercedes for 100 Dollars. Now trying to get the key into position 1, I now have the key working properly but the steering wheel remains locked. I still feel that the linkage in the shift mechanism is kind of loose. Could this be a fault in the Anti Theft mechanism?

Or does it point still to the tumbler.

I tried to see how to take off the plastic cover to see more of the tumbler???

I have a 1996 E 320.

Dean

Old 09-18-2008, 08:15 PM

Well yeah, if the car is having trouble truly (and fully) going into Park, there could be 'key type' symptoms.

You'll need to rule out one or the other for sure. I'm thinking that if you have a new key and some sort of linkage slop going into Park, it's probably that. I'm assuming that you've tried jiggling the wheel back and forth with the ignition unlocked?

Kevin

Old 09-18-2008, 09:12 PM

had the same issue on my 300TE...problem was the damn key..does yours have the cuts on both side of an otherwise uncut base? As in a square cut key with the teeth cut into both sides? cost me $36 at a dealer and took a week to get.
the original just stopped working for no apparent reason..hmmm let me know the result...thanks..cliff