Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep frying MAFs:Urgent help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Default Keep frying MAFs:Urgent help needed

Guys,
I've been on the board sporadically (basically when I need help). Well, I'm back and basically about sick of this problem. The car: 80K miles 97 E320. replaced fuel filter, 3 mafs now..and a 175 diagnostic fee that told me nothing other than what I knew from my code scanner, "the maf was bad...."

The car has gone through 1 stock and 3 aftermarket mafs in less than 10K miles. I DON"T GET IT.
I've replaced the Crank Position Sensor last week thinking it was contributing to my problem, but to no avail.

The car just idles rough, oscillating rpm's between 500-700 and occasionally just cutting off altogether.

I have a code scanner and the only code that appears is the MAF! again.......... [:@]

The GOOD IS, If I put in a NEW maf, the car runs like a top, but otherwise it runs like hell-O.

I don't like to give up on something, but I'm about ready to give this thing the boot. I can't keep going through these expensive POS's every couple months. Thats BS.... there has to be some reason why this car keeps frying them or why they are inexplicably dying???????

Help and out of the box ideas are appreciated.
Rob

Old 04-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Banned
Default RE: Keep frying MAFs:Urgent help needed

do not use aftermarket maf's is the first.Buying them off ebay?that would be the second thing.
Running any other filter then the oem paper?What is the code you are getting?Changed the pre cat o2 sensor?
Have you tried to clean the maf properly with crc brand maf cleaner?Have you changed your fuel filter,poor fuel supply will cause intermittent maf codes.Don't give up,yet there is a solution.
ohlord
when you did the plugs did you update the connectors under the coils?www.autohausaz.com has them cheap.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:53 AM

Yeah, I'm about to "splurge" for an OEM unit. They are just soooo expensive and after the second maf went out on me I didn't want to go buy one if I had another problem as well that was frying them. ie cheaper to buy a sub 100.00 unit than another 500 plus one.

I have changed plugs and coils as well. forgot to mention it.
I have not changed any O2 sensors. That made no difference in performance. I could put the stockers on there again and it wouldn't make a difference. I'm chalking up that expenditure to "necessary maintenance" in order to rationalize the expenditure. Actually, I did not change out the connectors under the coils when i did the change over. Perhaps this could contribute? They looked good, in fact 2 are non oem.. Hmmn, that has me thinking.. I'll do that asap.

I have a stock paper filter currently. Could use a changing actually. I've cleaned all of the maf's I've bought with MAF cleaner. If helped the original live a little longer but not the others.

Ebay ( I must admit) is the place I bought the last 3.

I'm getting code 0100 which in my manual,that comes with the code reader, says MAF SENSOR.

Thanks for the reply.
I'll change O2's and those under coil plug wiresif you think it will help, although I have no codes for a miss or badO2's. I'm just getting bilked on service and unfortunate advice that although good for some, has gotten me nowhere. I need to know and quit guessing with big money

thanks for your help
Rob

Old 04-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Banned

P0100 is more of a circuit code for the maf,have you inspected all of the wires to the maf no frayed or corroded ones?Make sure you have no leaks in the intake tubing that will lead to the stumble an rise in engine idle.
oem bosch maf only $163 free delivery you will need to confirm if you have the upgraded model and that is only $180 or so.
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...0Mass%20Sensor
keep us posted
ohlord

Old 04-19-2008, 02:29 AM

I concur ohlord.
However the MAF relies on getting a 5v controlled supply. if this is incorrect then the MAF circuit may not pass the start up test.
I need to find which are the pins that are supposed to be at 5v.
Saw it posted somewhere recently but can't think at this minute. Will try to locate.
Stuart

Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 PM

Well, Its been a while and I'm happy to report that I've now driven 3500 miles with no problems and the car drives like new.. I went to autohaus and they set me up with a new maf for 160 and change. I compared this BOSCH unit to the ebay units.... there was no comparison when it came to materials used. Won't make that mistake again.
Car is currently trouble free and running well. Thank youall for your help. I'm sure I'll be back on her again when I have another problem that I can't get past.

THanks again for the help,
Rob