Mercedes SL Class Mercedes SL500 and Mercedes SL600 Roadsters.

To keep or not to Keep - That is the ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Default To keep or not to Keep - That is the ?

I have owned a 1994 SL 600 for 3 years
Up until this year I have had very little trouble
This year 3 months and $8000 USD latter I am questioning whether I should keep this car

I have replaced nearly every oil seal, power steering, and transmission seal on the car

I have never had to do so much work to the engine on a vehicle

I have 80000 miles

It gets very hot in Texas, so I understand so of my trouble is due to the extreme heart in the sealed engine compartment

Other old V12 owners - Have you had this kind of trouble? Can I expect More issues?

I have an extended warranty (until January) through WarrantybyNet. I figure I could sell it in the $22000 range, but I don't want to!

Opinions?

Old 11-04-2005, 12:22 PM
Default RE: To keep or not to Keep - That is the ?

I'm curious, how many miles are on the car?

Old 11-04-2005, 12:40 PM

I bought one Mercedes from Texas. Had the same problems, but doing it myself didn't spend more, than $200. Diesel sedan had 200k. Than one time, when servicing front fans, I noticed, that whole lower part of radiator well was packed solid with insects.

Old 11-04-2005, 12:44 PM

Just curious.
After putting $8000 in it you want to sell the car?
KBB values it at about $17,000. How much you want?

Old 11-04-2005, 12:56 PM

Why did you spend $8,000 on it if you want to sell it? Sounds like you fixed everything. Why not keep it for awhile longer?

Check the market prices if you want to sell it. KBB estimates tend to be way off, especially for the SLs.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:03 PM

KBB usually gets low on luxury imports, but this is not good time for selling gas guzzler.
Down the page is showroom-condition 99 with 18k on it for 30 grands and I believe that is still negotiable.
Asking $22 k for old car with troubles is not realistic.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:12 PM

I don't think the car has troubles. He fixed everything, didn't he?

$22K might be high, I dunno. Need to check what they're selling for. KBB and one car on this forum don't float my boat.

KBB is consistently below the market prices with their estimates on SLs. The SL on this forum is selling for an exceptionally good price, IMO. I don't think you can find another in that condition that's priced that good.

Old 11-04-2005, 01:15 PM

That brings us back to the same question.
If the car has all the problems fixed, why would he want to sell it?

Old 11-04-2005, 01:29 PM

Exactly. We both made that point initially, but then you said, "Asking $22 k for old car with troubles is not realistic."

Old 11-04-2005, 02:44 PM

I also have a SL600, mine is a (95). I also have spent a fair amount of money keeping mine up and have ask myself the same question a couple of times. I'm sure your question isn't just about learning the Resale Value as much as it is the fear you may have to put another 8k into your car anytime soon. There are a few very problematic and expensive repairs on this vehicle to look out for. One is the Mass Air Sensors, you have 2 of them and there are a few things to have checked on them, even to flexability of the rubber booting leading up to them, they can be several thousand each to fix. Another common problem is the Main engine wiring harness, the insulation was poorly made and can get brittle, fall off and short the wiring. A Qualifyed Mercedes Repair shop can give you an evaluation for around $10- $150 to help in your decision. Make sure you find one that has a good V12 Guy. Call and ask some questions first. Regarding vehicle values, Every used car is an individual , especially This type of car, value is based on Conditin,care, upkeep and Maintance records as much as Year and Mileage. Good Luck

Quick Reply: To keep or not to Keep - That is the ?