Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument cluster broken :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 07:20 PM
Unhappy Instrument cluster broken :(

Hi, first time post'er here. So I removed my 2000 e320 instrument cluster to fix the pixels and upgrade to LED's because some of the bulbs were out. Pixel fix went well and I replaced most of the bulbs. Problem came when I put it back in to test it and found out one of my bulbs was backwards (not on). so I pulled it out and figured I could just rest it on the contacts to test it, but I slipped and shorted something out. Now all the back lights for the IC are out, the gauges dont move, and the ABS, BlS, and Check Engine lights are on. I assume I fried something and have a $75 replacement coming in ten days... Any suggestions in the meanwhile and anybody know how much a dealer or shop charges to reprogram the IC/ if I even have to reprogram it (i dont intend to sell the car so mileage change doesn't matter). Any help is so appreciated, thanks in advance

TL, DR; I broke my IC by shorting something and want to know if I need to reprogram the new one I ordered or not

Old 05-03-2017, 02:48 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum! Take a look at the link below for the procedure to replace the cluster light bulbs (you may find some good info in case you can salvage). I would also suggest pulling the codes from the DTC, as this will give you a great place to start troubleshooting.

Mercedes-Benz W210 Instrument Cluster Bulb Replacement (1996-03) E320, E420 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article