Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM
Default I need HELP!

I am new to this forum so I'm not even sure if I am doing this right! I just need to ask a question. OK, I have a 2000 E320 Sedan. For a couple of months now it has been beeping at me and my display was saying Service B in how many ever miles Visit Workshop. Now I didn't go to the workshop because I didn't think there was anything wrong with my car and from what I gathered about Service B from my dad who has been a mechanic for 30 years, it was an extensive check of all of my braking and stability systems and they seemed fine to me. Well, I exceeded the Service B reminder by 2500 miles yesterday and my car beeped at me to tell me that so I said shut up and kept driving for about a tenth of a mile then it beeped again and said Display Defective Visit Workshop and my check engine light came on. At this point I was worried but I continued to my house and I noticed then my car wouldn't shift out of first gear. I thought this odd. When I arrived at my house I tried to shift into Park and the car was stuck in Drive. I had to turn off the car to get it into Park and then it wouldn't start back. This morning my husband managed to get it started but only by moving the driver seat back to the farthest position (crazy huh, but true) and by holding the key down for a few seconds. It still wouldn't shift out of first gear and now to get it into drive he had to put a pen in the gear shift below the D and do it manually. It doesn't even show on the display that it is in gear!! Well anyway, I managed to get it to an independent shop today and they hooked an OBD-2 up to it and it gave them all these codes but they said they don't know how to fix it and that I will have to take it to a dealership to have it serviced. I just want to know what the codes mean before I do that and also how much it may cost to fix my car. The codes are 455 Evap, 1605 Can Accel., 500, 1747 Camfault, 1603 Starter Switch, 600 Stability, 1570 DAS to ECM, 1999 undocumented, 034 Can communication, 116 TR Oil temp sensor, 130 Can comm. disrupted, 132 ECU can comm., 134 Comm disturbed traction system, 135 Comm disturbed engine mgmnt, 136 Comm disturbed ign control module, 1020 Fault & Comm, 1504 system switched off, SAS not initialized, Electronic Gear Selector-No comm., Brake Assist No Comm.
They cleared all of them and these came back: 134, 034, and 1999
What does all of this mean? Do I have to buy all of those things? How much will this cost? Please help me!!!!

Old 01-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

dont flip out just yet. Sounds like your car had an electrical communication glitch between the modules of what the gear shift was doing, what the display was suppose to show and it got basically confused. Meaning the car had no idea what poitio nthe gear sift was in so it stuck it into one position. Since the car didnt know what where the gear shift was, it went into limp home mode, meanin you wont be able to get it out of first gear and since the gear is electrical, only way to move it when that happens is the with a pin in the emergency hole, which you did. Now on top of that, when you cut the car off, there was no communication between the position of gear stick and the the module for the start switch and thus, unless the starter switch gets the right signal (gear in park or neautral) it wont start. When the car goes into safe mode, lots of the extra road features are truned off meaning you get codes for the ESC, disturbed engine management and etc. Now when you plug it in, the codes cleares as chould revealing the root.

034 Can comm. is dealing with your electronic shifter module as this code pops up when it is faulty. It might be short circuiting.

of course 134 is traction control and I doubt that code will go anywhere until the shifter module is fixed and the car does not go into "limp home mode". The code doesnt mean the system is inactive all the time it means that communications is disturbed sporadically, i.e limp home, or other glitches.

dont know what is 1999.

ever spilled anything in the shifter?

it can be a DIY. Some assemblies go for $400-$500 online shops but tht is everything except the handle.