Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! REALLY stuck this time!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Default Help! REALLY stuck this time!

I have read everything I can find but am at a dead end.

The ignition key wouldn't turn on my 1993 400E.

So I pulled the cluster, removed the lower panel and dropped the steering wheel. All attempts to turn the key have failed so I used a Dremel with cut-off wheels and removed the tumbler cover - but the tumbler will not come out. I have broken of the front of the tumbler trying. There seems to be some movement but something is still locking it in place.

In desperation I used the Dremel again to grind away the pawl and was surprised to have the whole switch out of the column in about 1/2 an hour.

NOW, if I could just unplug the electrical plug???? It appears that I also need to turn the key to remove that??

What are my options? Cut further? turn the tumbler by force?

Does anybody know why I can't remove the tumbler at this point?

Old 10-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Banned
Default It most likely has nothing to

do with the tumbler at all. Did you ever check the ignition interlock in the shift.If broken it will not allow the key to be turned when you depress the brake pedal.
You need special tools to remove the tumbler.
Stop chopping up stuff,it will cost you more than if you had researched how to do it first.
ohlord

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 11-23-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:32 AM
Default No! But actually you are right!

I ignored your response because it wasn't really helpful. I cut the screws holding the electrical switch on, still couldn't "turn the key". No key (or anything else) left by now. It seems that the column interlock is worn to the point that it no longer operates and has got itself into a totally locked position. So there was probably nothing wrong with the tumbler at all!!

I assume that this is what happens if you turn the new tumbler without the key in it (requires factory reset) but nobody before has noticed that this can happen just from normal wear and usage.

Figure I needed a new body anyway so I cut it to get it out. (could have cut the switch) I was right and the switch is still like new but I replaced it anyway because it was by far the cheapest part. The new switch doesn't have the interlock and so you can remove the electrical plug without the key. That's fine 'cause I don't really expect anyone to try stealing a 1993 car anyway! Still rather like closing the barn door after the horse has bolted, what?

Anyone having similar problems try emailing me - glad to help if I can.

Old 02-20-2010, 03:01 AM

When the ignition tumblers lock up like that I always just grind the locking pin and just replace the tumbler, lock and electrical portion of the ignition switch.
I have taken the time to cut the lock assembly in half (thin grinding wheel) so that I could rotate the lock and remove the electrical portion of the switch. Don't know why, they are cheap.

Old 02-21-2010, 11:40 AM
Default Not the same problem

The point here was that the lock could not be removed from the vehicle because you need to turn the key to unplug the electrical leads. Even with the tumbler removed, the lock would not turn!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:44 PM

If you remove the tumber and don't destroy the section the tumble plugs into, you can turn it with a screwdriver and release the electrical connector.
If the mechanical lock assembly is brioken, the easiest path is to grind out the locking tab in the lock column.
BUT when the key starts to act up or locks up JUST ONCE, replace the tumbler and avoid the whole issue (if it's tumbler related).

Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Default Nope!!!!

Not So Mon Ami!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:59 PM

You might be right, I've onoly done about 60 of them on the 124 chassis.

Did you move the steering wheel as to take the pressure off the steering lock (back part of the ignition lock assembly) so that you could turn the lock assembly with the tumbler out?

Don't get me wrong IF the lock assembly itself is locked up, jammed or broken nothing in the world short of a torch will allow you to turn it...although I can't remember this ever happening to me...but I am old. LOL

Old 02-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Default 60 huh?

That's why I went to the trouble of coming back to finish of this thread!!

Just my luck - first one for me! Never did get it to turn!! The switch turned once I cut the screws and removed it from the body but the column lock just would not move. It looked like it was just worn to the point that it have slipped into as position that had locked it there.

16 1/2 years - I guess it has turned a few times! LOL