Mercedes E Class Mercedes E320 and Mercedes E500 Sedans and Wagons.

Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Gage

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Default Fuel Gage

I just bought a 2001E320 4matic .I just filled up the tank but the gage doesn't go to the top. It is lower than the top line.
I also have a cluster problem with the outside temp and the clock/gear gage (missingpixel problem). Question. Is the gage supposed to go higher than the top line on the fuel gage? I asked a Mercedes repairman and he told me that if the car was at the garage for a while with the tank being really low that maybe the gage was like stuck or not as sensible as it will be after a few tankfuls.How is your fuel gage? If not too much to ask how many KM or Miles do you do with a tankful. Thank-You.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:30 AM
Default RE: Fuel Gage

Fuel gauge should read full = top line when full. What the garage guy says is plausible. The gauge is connected to the tank via a computer that does "clever" things! See if the problem goes away. if not it is likely that the tank sender sensor is faulty.

My S Class gauge is incredible accurate at the full end and at the bottom about 1 gallon on the safe side.
The fuel consumption computer is also remarkably accurate i.e. <5% error which i consider remarkable considering it is counting the duration of every pulse of fuel.
The odometer is also absolutely accurate (over 200 miles on motorway using mileposts when the car was new i.e. new tyres)

Expect something like 30 mpg (Imp) = 24 mpg (US) on the Highway. Only real way is to fill tank to brim. Use most of the fuel up and refil to the brim. Them calculate average fuel consumption.

Dead pixels on the Instrument pack = new pack! Expensive. Some places will repair (Google BBA) but the costs are almost as high....unless you are an experienced DIY'er. Basically fault is a circuit board edge connector problem.

Stuart

Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator

The fuel float in the tank may be stuck. I just repaired mine. The float slides up and down on a rod inside a tube, and has two resistor wires on each side. The metal is actually "plain steel" for some reason, and rusts rather quickly; It can rust stiff. You have to remove the sender, loosen the tiny nut on the cap on the bottom of the tube, slide the tube off, and free the float. You may have to pry it with a small screwdriver to get it unstuck. Be sure not break the two tiny guide wires; they are actually resistor wires that create the reading.

Blue

Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 PM

It is the second time I fill up the tank. It stops about 1/4 of an inch from the top line.
If stays like this I guess I will have to try and repair the gage. Is there instructionsand photos on the DIY section?
Thanks for the info guys.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:10 PM

Blue - do you have a set-by-step for removing the fuel sender? I have a 2001 E320 4-Matic.

Thanks!